AutoReturn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This all reminds me of a story from about a week ago.  I'd sold a plot on Zindra but kept ownership of the builds because there was too much time pressure on the deal for me to get the permissions set right.  The new owner wanted the builds, so I tidied up the perms and set them for sale to her as "Original".  She had simply no idea that such a thing was possible, and expected them to end up in her Inventory.  And she was no newbie, either.

I do think some way of educating and sharing Mainland ownership "best practices" for handling various situations could go a long way both in improving owners' enjoyment of their parcels and the quality of the Mainland experience for all, by virtue of helping landowners make better decisions in About Land settings, Groups, etc.

This forum is, I guess, a start at that.  There may be a win from distilling the discussions here into something readily accessible (a tutorial? a reference guide? an in-world interactive demo?).

• 2 weeks later...

Latisha Pexie wrote:

Having a messy land is not an ARable offence. While it may be unsightly to you, it is not up to any resident how another resident makes use of the land that they pay for. As long as the objects rezzed are not in violation of the land's maturity rating a resident may be as cluttered as they wish.

It should be, at least situationally. And in fact in some situations is. And the below comment points out why.

Pauline Darkfury wrote:

That's true, but also entirely misses a major issue with parcels which don't have autoreturn set on mainland.  If the landowner doesn't pay attention to them, rarely logs into SL, or whatever, they
end up filling with junk which causes problems for other landowners and harms their ability to use their land.
  Some of the junk objects may well be against ToS, but can be extremely difficult to get something done about them if the landowner doesn't act responsibly and either police the usage of their land or enable autoreturn.

The main issue is normally not with objects owned by the landowner, but with the random junk which will accumulate regardless of no-rez and no-object-entry permissions (neither of those prevent junk from random people accumulating).

And this is the crux of it.

Eventually your "right" to use and enjoy of what you pay for interferes with my right to use and enjoy what I pay for. And in the Real world that is when zoning laws, anti-blight regulations, and public sanitation laws step in to protect the interests of the greater community against the abuses of a hostile iconoclastic or libertarian-anti-community landowner.

The ToS does some of this, but it is weaker than it should be. It needs somewhat stronger anti-blight rules. It does speak to when one landowner's use interferes with another - but it doesn't speak well on this point with any clear enough definition to clarify understand and prevent abuse.

And estate covenants only solve the issue by going too far in the other direction but in an authoritarian way: where blight gets arbitrarily defined to the tastes of someone who's mood or preferences can change.

Liisa Runo wrote:

One of the biggest problems in mainland: Lack of autoreturn / people to clean the parcels from random mess.

Only reason i can think of for not having autoreturn is that when you are in the process of changing the ownership of land and want the objects to stay there while you are changing the group of the objects. Been in SL about 3 years and only had to do it once. And for almost region size land, it took about an hour.

Been wondering why so many parcels dont have autoreturn enabled. If some of you know more reasons to not have autoreturn, please tell me, i really want to know.

I just posted on this same problem. Auto return default should be ON in my opinion, at least when people abandon land.

Most people do not know it exists. I really think that is the reason most people have Auto Return off (technically, set to zero - if there were an on and off button it might be more clear to them what it means.) 

The result is that as long as abandoned land sits with Auto Return at zero, the neighbors can be griefed, or watch a parade of squatters, many of whom break TOS in various other ways while there. I've seen people squat on G land selling sex toys, and too many squatters rezzing mile high junk to count. We were recently also griefed on one sim, but it wasn't as big a problem for  us as for the nearby home owners. Someone rezzed some boxes on abandoned land that were really malicious.

Liisa Runo wrote:

Can you think of some better technical solution to the problem? Anyone?

How about an On/Off button for Auto Return - maybe in addition to the ability to set a length of time for the return.

Then people might understand what it does.

How about a pop up Info button on some of the land tabs.

Melita Magic wrote:

I just posted on this same problem. Auto return default should be ON in my opinion, at least when people abandon land.

I was under the impression (though might be wrong) that this was part of the abandoned land changes in the works - that autoreturn would switch on by default when people abandon.

I hope it is, as the current situation is a pain. I had someone dump a landmark giver by my store (LL did clear it up quickly though).

Polenth Yue wrote:

I was under the impression (though might be wrong) that this was part of the abandoned land changes in the works - that autoreturn would switch on by default when people abandon.

I hope it is, as the current situation is a pain. I had someone dump a landmark giver by my store (LL did clear it up quickly though).

Yes, if/when the new handling of abandonments goes live, autoreturn will be enabled 72 hours after the parcel is abandoned (which will also return the former owner's objects).  The 72 hours is to allow plenty of time for land which has been abandoned by mistake or in haste to be sold back to the previous owner by support with the content still in place.

• 2 months later...

Everybody go vote to the JIRA for a new LSL feature:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SCR-19  "Script function to return objects"

With this feature we could make simple scripted gadget that allow people to have list of friends who are allowed to have prims on their land. That way those friends would not need to be in the group of the land.

This script function would also be usefull in many kinds of stuff.

Liisa Runo wrote:

With this feature we could make simple scripted gadget that allow people to have list of friends who are allowed to have prims on their land. That way those friends would not need to be in the group of the land.

The same functionality already exists by just setting land to a group and then enabling auto-return. There's no logical reason not to have such people in the group - if you trust them to rez on the land.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

The same functionality already exists by just setting land to a group and then enabling auto-return. There's no logical reason not to have such people in the group - if you trust them to rez on the land.

My trusted friends are in the group. But somewhere in this thread there were people saying that they refuse to enable autoreturn and add their friends to the group. So this script function would help those people keeping their land less messy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.