Watch Youtube with friends?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do I make these web-browser TV's in SL server-side so I can surf the net (eg Youtube) with friends? It defeats the purpose if I'm the only one who sees anything on the screen and everyone else sees a blank screen... I mean I can just do that on my regular browser 10x faster.

If I go to youtube homepage, my friend can see that. But if I select a video to play, she is still stuck on youtube homepage. So you can technically surf the net, but for some reason can't play any media?

So how do you watch movies together then? I'm pretty sure that's possible?

Shared Media is an alternate approach, compatible with many types of streaming movie and does not require use of About Land - you can set it up easily and anywhere that allows rezzing. It's not "synchronised" but it's easy to do a countdown in chat or otherwise check you and your friends are at the same point in the video.

For YouTube, I find the best way to watch is to swap a YouTube URL from its default format, such as:-

[http://www.]youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

To its 'embed' style, which looks like:-

[http://www.]youtube.com/embed/dQw4w9WgXcQ

There are other tricks for other video providers.

Note that I've used square brackets to avoid turning these into clickable links, and preserve the bolding (which shows the part you need to change). The advantage with /embed/ is that it shows fullscreen on the media surface.

Good luck!

I just bought a shared media TV screen for free from MP that only plays youtiube and vimeo, it just a prim screen with no frame, tried it out with a friend , they had to click on screen to see what I was watching, I was half way through the video but in their case the video started from the beginning while I continued uninterrupted from where I was, thats great.

You have to type or copy/paster URL in local chat for them to play on the screen.

It shows full screen by default you dont have to do the embed thing as posted above to have that, however SL servers do not allow some companies stuff to be aired inworld on youtube.

bebejee wrote:

I was half way through the video but in their case the video started from the beginning while I continued uninterrupted from where I was, thats great.

It shows full screen by default you dont have to do the embed thing as posted above to have that

You have to type or copy/paster URL in local chat for them to play on the screen.

Very good and useful information for the OP, thanks!

This is how the personal-use media screen that I coded works as well - it performs the /embed/ trick itself whenever it hears a Youtube URL. :)

It's more likely that Youtube-side issues prevent playing of certain videos in-world (e.g. Video deleted, DMCA actions, adult content warnings). Some videos that contain these types of features may not work as cleanly in SL.

bebejee wrote:

Yes it said that content has stuff that belongs to so-n-so company and cant be played in some places, both music and movies, but I love watching other things like documentries and personal videos so its all good.

Yeah that's Youtube and its fairly hacky DMCA process at fault, not "SL servers" as first attributed.

Fortunately you're quite right, there's plenty of new media to watch. :D

Does anyone see TV out doors more so at night? on the beach near a camp fiire out on the deck or porch or garden, wearing a powerful face/body light helps brighten the screen the brightness of the fire can help too depending on the quality of the product as can a lamp, lantern etc. placed nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

This person Freya is so rude, I asked he politely via PM if she could help sort out a problem related to a tip she gave on using youtube full screen inworld and she said rather curtly, that she dosent give advice via PM, my message started with Hi Freya and I ended my message to her with kind regards she didnt even bother saying hi let alone address me by name and ended hers with yet a curt sounding bye..

Dont recall being offensive to you in the orb range thread unless you popped in there as a catty alt and got a befitting response.

bebejee wrote:

This person Freya is so rude, I asked he politely via PM if she could help sort out a problem related to a tip she gave on using youtube full screen in-world and she said rather curtly, that she doesn't give advice via PM, my message started with Hi Freya and I ended my message to her with kind regards she didn't even bother saying hi let alone address me by name and ended hers with yet a curt sounding bye..

Don't recall being offensive to you in the orb range thread unless you popped in there as a catty alt and got a befitting response.

I'm sorry Bebejee,  Freya has a policy in regards to Freya's time spend in SL Answers. This doesn't extend to PM assistance. This is all you ran up against.

Stop looking to being a victim and ask politely if anyone can offer exact details in regards to the method mentioned in Freya's post. You may get a few nibbles that way.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

bebejee wrote:

This person Freya is so rude, I asked he politely via PM if she could help sort out a problem related to a tip she gave on using youtube full screen in-world and she said rather curtly, that she doesn't give advice via PM, my message started with Hi Freya and I ended my message to her with kind regards she didn't even bother saying hi let alone address me by name and ended hers with yet a curt sounding bye..

Don't recall being offensive to you in the orb range thread unless you popped in there as a catty alt and got a befitting response.

I'm sorry Bebejee,  Freya has a policy in regards to Freya's time spend in SL Answers. This doesn't extend to PM assistance. This is all you ran up against.

Stop looking to being a victim and ask politely if anyone can offer exact details in regards to the method mentioned in Freya's post. You may get a few nibbles that way.

Don't count on it if this is how she repays the help she was given in this thread. Some people think they are entitled to others' time for free.

You're not entitled to help from fellow residents, making childish posts about my behaviour doesn't incentivize helpfulness from me, doubtful it will others.

Your PM was received with less politeness than you claim to have put into it. I treat folks as they appear to deserve to be treated, and commit time where that time is likely to be appreciated. I take steps to manage my stress levels based on urgency and the healthiness of the dynamic involved. Looks like I made the right call and will be sticking to it from here on out.

Kind fricken' regards.

• Like 1

bebejee wrote:

This person Freya is so rude, I asked he politely via PM if she could help sort out a problem related to a tip she gave on using youtube full screen inworld and she said rather curtly, that she dosent give advice via PM, my message started with Hi Freya and I ended my message to her with kind regards she didnt even bother saying hi let alone address me by name and ended hers with yet a curt sounding bye..

Dont recall being offensive to you in the orb range thread unless you popped in there as a catty alt and got a befitting response.

Other residents, even the most kind and helpful, are not here to pander to your needs. Check your entitlement.

Why are you lying? copy/paste my PM to you and lets see how impolite it was, just the part Hi Freya  ..... Kind regards is enough to show how rude it was.

Compare that to:

I dont give advice via PM, Bye, not even Sorry.

I messaged Amethyst J'taime with something that dosent even concern her nd she went out of her way gave me a decent and long reply, complete with the courtesies, Hi bebejee and Yours Amethyst J'taime, plus to contact her for further help if I needed, what a pleasent surprise that was since she comes accross as aloof on the forum

As for the hypocrites on here, next time dont preach on etiquette when topics on the subject come up, because I will make sure I link this thread in that one every time.

I dont think it would have cost her to say sorry or hope you understand or hi simply without using name, its just manners and politeness.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.