Setting up a private area for students

mbmadiw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I think this is a really big question; one that begets many other questions.  I don't think it is a simple yes/no.  If you are setting up for students I think you should do all the research you possible can - direct your questions at LL staff, in addition to scouring the blogs, etc. for assistance. 

mbmadiw wrote:

Is it possible to set up a private area only for students at our school to visit? Must it be done by purchasing land ($1000 + $295/mo) or is there another way?

Yes, it's possible.  No, you don't have to pay US$10,000 + US$295/month for land, there are many other ways:

1. The price quoted is for a complete sim.  You can buy, or rent, land in any size, not just 256x256m
  2. Linden Lab are offering sims for rent for just a day or two so commercial/educational organisations don't have to pay the setup and monthly fees.
  3. You can download and install OpenSim or similar on your own server for free.  That will allow you to run your own "SL" completely private to your students.
  4. Linden Lab will sell you the 'Enterprise' version of SL for several thousand US$.  It's like OpenSim but costs more.

With any of these options you have to consider how you will build and decorare the area.  Except for option 2 you basically get a bare bit of land.  You'll probably need a building, textures, scripted objects, etc. depending on what you'll be using the area for.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.