Where is everyone?

xxscorpion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Or/and are they spread out

exactly that, and have you any idea how large SL is? if we spread up all online avatars evenly over the grid you will still see nobody....

I am not a frequent as of yet, having been around sparsely for a while

come a little more and jump around a bit ... :)

Most I count on total doing a quick skim is 4-500 total...

i have no idea where you look but most times there are a average between 27500 / 35000 people online in SL ...

If you open your world map, the green dots you'll see represent avatars.  If you see a bunch of them together it's a crowd.  You can use search to find destinations that interest you then hit the Map button and see how many people are there.

Keep in mind that most venues have peak times when the number of people there are at the highest and off hours when little to no people are there.   You can join the a venue such as a club, group and look at the notice tab to see when events take place or go there.  Some clubs have boards showing the times of their events.  Peak event times may vary depending on who the club caters to and where in the world they live.  There are also clubs that are open and have something going on 24/7.

You can also look at event search to see what events are occuring, what time they occur, and where they are.

Hello Scorpion, it takes some time to figure out stuff, don´t worry, I don´t want to know how many people log in a few times and leave because they just give up, googling and asking will get you somewhere quickly though.

In addition to what above posters said - there´s a handy sorting function in the in-world search in your viewer, also in friendlists, radar, groupnotices etc., so you can type something you´re interested in into the 'Places'-tab, e.g. 'medieval roleplay', 'rock music', '***', whatever, and search will list places. Click the tab that shows the traffic, and it will get sorted by traffic number, highest on top, see a short description of the place and teleport there to have a look, in places with a lot of traffic your chances that people are on the sim are much higher obviously. You can search with your terms of interest in the 'Groups'-tab also and sort the groups to member number and join a few with high membercount (probably more active), then you´ll receive group notices that inform you about events and such of the group (those notices again you can, in a group´s info-window, sort for date, and so see the notices that have been sent for up to the last 14 days.

For concurrent user number, I don´t know about the default viewer, but Firestorm as one of the 3rd party viewers (might be interesting for you too: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory) for instance shows you the number of people online at the time you start your viewer, right now for example that´s...let me see...~29K.

Hope that helps a bit, and have fun!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.