Recommended Cache size?

PersistentDigger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yesterday I was given useful info here when I asked about the wisdom (or otherwise) of clearing Cache - link

Rolig gave  a link to a Firestorm Support page. On there, I read the following ..

"We get asked a lot about what to set cache size to; the simple answer is to set it to the maximum possible in the viewer, as long as you have room on your hard drive. In Firestorm, the cache size can be increased to 9,984 MB."

As it happens, I use the LL Viewer; out of curiosity, I took a look at my Cache size in Preferences. 

It is set at 512 MB - which must either be a default or a judgement as to what is appropriate for my PC (similar to the Graphics settings they give you).

That 512 MB seems quite low to me and I am planning to increase it.

Beyond the considerations of what else one uses the computer for (ie.files and programs other than SL), is there any downside to increasing Cache?

[If it is relevant to my query, these are my machine's specs:-

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

3 answers to this question

PersistentDigger wrote:

Yesterday I was given useful info here when I asked about the wisdom (or otherwise) of clearing Cache - 

Rolig gave  a link to a Firestorm Support page. On there, I read the following ..

"We get asked a lot about what to set cache size to; the simple answer is to set it to the maximum possible in the viewer, as long as you have room on your hard drive. In Firestorm, the cache size can be increased to 9,984 MB."

As it happens, I use the LL Viewer; out of curiosity, I took a look at my Cache size in Preferences. 

It is set at 512 MB - which must
either
be a default
or
a judgement as to what is appropriate for my PC (similar to the Graphics settings they give you).

That 512 MB seems quite low to me and I am planning to increase it.

Beyond the considerations of what else one uses the computer for 
(ie.files and programs other than SL),
is there any downside to increasing Cache?

[if it is relevant to my query, these are my machine's specs:-

Processor: Intel® Core i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Recently the process of fetching things from an area that isn't cached have been made far more efficient, and the cache system itself is pretty inefficient as caching systems go.  The recommendation on the Firestorm page was written before the changes to the fetching system were made. You might want to do some experimenting and comparison tests before you commit to the large cache; you may be surprised.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.