mesh LOD problem

RioZLander666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so i am running in to a problem i have never had befor on SL when trying to upload mesh. 

i am woundering if its my new pc causing it or if it is windows 10

when i try to upload mesh and i go through all my lod settings witch normaly is 

highest is max

high 7000-8000

low 5000-6000

lowest i set to 0 <-------- this one is the problem right now

no matter what i set the lowest to the number always sits at  the defalt set for low right above it and will not go down witch is causing my mesh to have a LI of 155 every time. and i dont have it set to do this it is on the generate setting 

i upload vehicals shells for people to build with so this is not acceptable to have LI this high

i have even tried stuff i have already uploaded that hase a li of 30 and i get the same problem. i am also having this problem when i just try to upload a simple pipe i made in blender.

i dont know if it is me, the viewer, LL **bleep**ed it up, or windows 10,new pc, other builders i know dont have a clue ether they never run in to this. any one heard of this or know where to point me i know it is not the mesh because i have tried older stuff that did work.

please note as a heads up i am not that smart when it comes to tehnical pc stuff 

I had this issue with one of the viewers a couple of months back. When I used the standard viewer available at the time, it worked just fine. When the viewer in question was updated, it also was fine.

I have no idea what caused it, but would simply suggest to use another viewer for uploading for the time being.

Additionally, you could file a JIRA.

LI is determined not only by mesh LOD (Download value)  but depends from the highest value of three params ( Download, Physics and Server).

So, if final LI value is caused by Physics or Server values, lowering the LOD has no effects at all on it.

Maybe you should check the cause of such high LI before deciding where focusing to fix.

)

Hi :)

I had a similar problem a while ago : see this thread   https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/LI-count-something-not-right/td-p/2254573

In message number 1, look at the screen shots of the Uploader, especially the numbers highlighted in red. I couldn't reduce those values by setting the the numbers in column A to minimum values, also note how the automatically generated values in column B are the same for some or even all the LOD's.

After some experimenting ............ Drongle discovered that this only happened with "closed toroidal meshes set to smooth shading and not UV unwrapped.

Quote from message Number 10: Drongle  "That's the same sort of thing I am finding. I did a series of toruses with major and/or minor segment ncounts varying from 3 to 24. Too many results to list here, and it's very unclear what the effect is, as some combinations are more resistant to the LOD gemeration than others, and it's not simply regular. It is certainly only happening when there's no UV map or the map is collapsed to a single point, and only when it's smooth shading. It is also very dependent on the closed toroidal geometry. If you split even one vertex (on some of them at least), the effect goes away. That spoils the smooth shading, but where that's tolerable, that gives a work-around. Best of course is (a) always unwrap (b) make your own LODs.

So if part of your mesh is closed,with smooth shading and not UV unwrapped ...........the problem could be there.

Also note the last post in that thread, (doubles)

RioZLander666 wrote:

i am also having this problem when i just try to upload a simple pipe i made in blender.

If its not the above then I suggest you make available an example file of that pipe mesh so that someone here could do a test upload to SL to see if they get the same result as you. (Blender files can be uploaded to http://www.pasteall.org/blend/ )

)that is 100% thre problem that is happenign to me right there but sadly i lack the intelagence to really understand uv maping or anythign that is being talked about.  i am not a thecnical person the fact i could even figure out how to upload mesh in the 1st place took me a year of trying to figure it out.

what confuses me is i am not doing anythign difforent then befor. importing models to z modeler and exporting them out to a obj to keep the uv maps for when i import them in to blender to re work the mesh and make changes to it then exportign it out to a DAE file and uploading to SL. and the uv maps are still there because the tectures still work for the mapping???

to be honest im just some dumb ass who luckaly happend to crash his way through this and somhow upload models. and i will just go ahead and say it, like 90% of the auto makers in sl i take my files from ones made for the game GTA SA. i am far from a creator but the uv maps should still be intact when coming out of zmodlerer 2.2.6 i know 2.2.4 caused the mesh to all fuse as one.

so how do i fix this (smooth Shading) <-------- problem for blender is there a option i need to dissable that does this or is it a option i need to dissable in zmod......my understanding for blender comes for a totorial video i built a car along to step by step from the stock block blender starts up with 

video is as far as my knolage exstends for the most part as i have a hard time understanding other videos. 

sorry in advance if my response seams frusterating but generaly im at a loss for what smooth shading is?

o_o i feel kinda dumb right now i do know that tab i use it all the time the copy and the flip faces so under the car hood will be a hood not a see through meterial when in world..............and now that i see the car parts i am selecting i can see that they looke more blocky like they use to on my old pc.

(i am about to try a t4est upload right now to see if it is fixed will post a update if it works   -crosses fingers-)

i just figured with my new pc it was renderign the mesh to look better because this pc is not 7 years old with a failing graphics card.

how can i set up blender not to do this automaticaly?

i only ask because some of these cars i have to seperate alot of mesh and can end up with 19-100 prims and parts with each one having 8 meterial faces.

You've said you;re trying to convert ripped models from another platform. What possible reason would real creators, folks who have suffered the depradations of your kind, have to assist you in ripping off one of their colleagues and in the process violate the LL ToS?

Once you admitted that you were ripping auto models from GTA4 and similar titles, you became a pariah. NOBODY can help you without breaking the law and the ToS themselves.

We can;t stop you but we are OBLIGATED not to help you. Sooner or later you'll have a much bigger problem, and that will be LL revoking your right to upload mesh at all.

Da5id Weatherwax wrote:

You've said you;re trying to convert ripped models from another platform. What possible reason would real creators, folks who have suffered the depradations of your kind, have to assist you in ripping off one of their colleagues and in the process violate the LL ToS?

Once you admitted that you were ripping auto models from GTA4 and similar titles, you became a pariah. NOBODY can help you without breaking the law and the ToS themselves.

We can;t stop you but we are OBLIGATED not to help you. Sooner or later you'll have a much bigger problem, and that will be LL revoking your right to upload mesh at all.

I have not noticed any reluctance to help mesh rippers.

Well you damn well noticed it now. I make all my own meshes from scratch,I make all my own scripts and anims, and if I cant match the quality of a decent mocap house I still get as close as I can, What I sell is what I MADE. Rippers from other games are scum, they take the work of other artists and claim it as their own. That's bogus and actionable.I may not ber the best creator in SL but I AM a CREATOR - I make everything I sell. Folks that sell ripped objects are scum. Period.

Da5id Weatherwax wrote:

Well you damn well noticed it now. I make all my own meshes from scratch,I make all my own scripts and anims, and if I cant match the quality of a decent mocap house I still get as close as I can, What I sell is what I MADE. Rippers from other games are scum, they take the work of other artists and claim it as their own. That's bogus and actionable.I may not ber the best creator in SL but I AM a CREATOR - I make everything I sell. Folks that sell ripped objects are scum. Period.

No actually what I noticed is, contrary to your claim, quite a few people in this very thread even, offering helpful advice.  This forum is full of helpful advice offered to anyone who asks, even when it is clear that they did not actually make the object they are trying to upload. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

Da5id Weatherwax wrote:

No actually what I noticed is, contrary to your claim, quite a few people in this very thread even, offering helpful advice.  This forum is full of helpful advice offered to anyone who asks, even when it is clear that they did not actually make the object they are trying to upload. 

I only see one person responding after the OP stated the models weren't their own. Even that response is older than the last edit in the post where it was stated. Then again, I can only suspect the models are ripped models, nowhere did the OP say he wasn't allowed to use the models. For all we know, the models used are public domain mods.

David, if you have issues with the uploader, contact the owner of the IP rights, which, if the models are ripped from the original game, is Rockstar.

To me that doesn't say anything to be honest.

If I should be suspicious of anyone who says they upload vehicle shells, I should also be supicious of anyone who says they upload houses, avatars, trees, furniture, statues etc. All models besides vehicles are just as often ripped from a game or downloaded from a 3D model site.

Anyway, I wasn't helpful at all in this case so it doesn't matter :)

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Then again, actually "making" the stuff is only part of it as well...

Besides, there are plenty of public domain models out there, one could upload those right?

Well one never knows the provenance of stuff found on the internet and uploaded. Thus the helpful responses in this forum to "uploaders". Who knows, it might be legal. But it might not. 

In any case I was pointing out to Da5id that his statement that no one here would help the OP was false.

"Making" means the entire workflow. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.