I want to switch my gender

Diamond843

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Before you begin by telling me about shapes, I'm referring to the gender you choose at startup. When you start SL you choose boy or girl. Once chosen, items and devices will refer to you as him or her dispite what shape you wear.

Can this be altered so that everything in sl recognizes you as the new gender?

When scripted objects refer to your gender, they are going by the underlying gender of the shape you're wearing at the time.   They're using the new flag in llGetObjectDetails, OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE (or, possibly, an equivalent call in RLV, if you're using an RLV viewer).   That's the only way they can tell.

Right click on yourself, choose Edit My Shape, and switch the shape's gender there.

If you're wearing a shape you've bought or been given, its base gender may very well not be its apparent one.   It's not uncommon for shape makers to misgender their shapes, since the sliders work differently for male and female shapes, and it's sometimes easier to get the effect you want by using the "wrong" gender for a body.

This is why scripters need to be very careful when using the OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE flag.

ETA:  The OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE was introduced only a few months ago.   Before that, scripters generally simply guessed at which set of pronouns objects should use, and (usually) provided an option for switching it.   Many scripted collars, for example, assume the wearer is female, and males have to change the setting from a menu.   Could that be the problem?

Diamond843 wrote:

Before you begin by telling me about shapes,

That is the only place where you get male/female labels.  The gender you pick at startup is nothing more than which shape you get first.  To pick a different gender, pick a different shape either at startup or any time after.

If you changed shape and the scripted object is still refering to your old gender, did you try tp relog to be sure the object's scripts are getting the new values?  You might also need to reset the scripts in the object.  Lastly, it could just be a porrly scripted object; in that case, just ignore it.

Diamond843 wrote:

Once chosen, items and devices will refer to you as him or her dispite what shape you wear.

If you talk about objects you attach etc saying "She wriggles her ears" then many have a setup/options menu when you click them. You need to go in there and look for a gender button.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.