Jump to content

'Repossessing' old SL avatars


IUsedToBeA
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but there tends to be more ppl in GD and a wider range of responses, and some of this Q is related to your own personal experience / opinions rather than needing guidelines...

Around 2010-2011, I had a couple of free AVs on SL - legacy names and all. For a number of reasons (including me worrying I was spending way too much time on SL) I decided to close the AV accounts via dashboard.

Recently, I've had a lot more spare time and would like to investigate building inworld, which I never really got round to trying or appreciating. So I've opened tickets for the two AVs but...I'm having no luck at all.

My problems are

1) I can't remember what emails I used on SL for them  - they were probably throwaway emails, as I wasn't sure what I was getting into in SL or if I'd even hang around for more than 5 minutes

2) Subsequently, LL want me to list the last location I was at on each AV before they restore the accounts - but I can't remember at all (I didn't keep logs etc)

I was wondering - have any of you had experience of this, and have any advice for getting the AVs back? If LL need any proof, I can send them each one's password, which I DO remember, but names of friends and last-visited locations totally elude me. It'd be great to come back on those accounts if possible...thanks in advance...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ad 1 throwaway emails don't excist, you most likely gave up fake emails .. if they don't excist anymore ad 2 comes in place after contacting support

ad 2 you can give the right date of birth, name and answer to secret question

 

i had several old accounts reinstated past years, and all work fine, but of course only when given the right and good informatio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you replied to the support ticket that you can't remember the last location but you can give them the right passwords?  Just keep trying and eventually if you really are the owner of those avi's AND gave correct information like your RL name and DOB you should get them back.  It may come down to sending RL proof that you are who you say you are, such as offical govt. ID's of some sort.

If you gave completely false information then you may not be able to reclaim them because if you can't answer anything about them other than name and password and can't provide RL IDs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


sams Byron wrote:

How does one update the name, date of birth and secret question portions you filled on sign up? Can't find it on my dashboard.

you can not update anything, all will stay as it was during sign up. And why would you ?...did your name change? were you bron new on another date? ....or....?.....

This would only be making sence when you are not the original owner of the account. And that's not possible without prior accordance from LL. (never given as far i know)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or original account was signed up with inaccurate info due to uncertainty as to future status when testing the waters for the first time. After concluding account will continue to be used the user now wants to provide the proper info to insure security of said account.

Practically every service provider lets change your details later because they know people will not provide accurate details (if they're smart) for the first time during the evaluation phase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

by signing up you accepted the TOS, you had to provide REAL and TRUE information. If you didn't you fraud.

Because sl uses rl payments in and out the world your account is attached to a real human. So therefore it's not possible to change.

Create a new account if you want to do it right this time, and abandon the old one.

There is no evaluation phase on sl.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


sams Byron wrote:

Or original account was signed up with inaccurate info due to uncertainty as to future status when testing the waters for the first time. After concluding account will continue to be used the user now wants to provide the proper info to insure security of said account.

Practically every service provider lets change your details later because they know people will not provide accurate details (if they're smart) for the first time during the evaluation phase.

Only idiots do that.

And there wouldn't be any sort of security for anyone, if it was so easy to simply change all details in your account information. Just think about all the cases, where people lose their accounts because someone else manages to trick them with phishing messages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:


sams Byron wrote:

Or original account was signed up with inaccurate info due to uncertainty as to future status when testing the waters for the first time. After concluding account will continue to be used the user now wants to provide the proper info to insure security of said account.

Practically every service provider lets change your details later because they know people will not provide accurate details (if they're smart) for the first time during the evaluation phase.

Only idiots do that.

And there wouldn't be any sort of security for anyone, if it was so easy to simply change all details in your account information. Just think about all the cases, where people lose their accounts because someone else manages to trick them with phishing messages.

Makes sense.... to some degree. Normally other companies would at least ask you for the info provided before they let you make changes. I could make an educated guess on what I filled in 5 years ago. There isn't even an opportunity to do this on the dashboard.

Also, I beg to differ on the wisdom of providing full personal details on any service you're checking out for the first time. If you have no intention of staying, why leave your info out there in yet another database and increase your instances of being exposed should LL get hacked? The ones who fall for phishing scams are the real idiots IMO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Alwin Alcott wrote:

by signing up you accepted the TOS, you had to provide REAL and TRUE information. If you didn't you fraud.

Because sl uses rl payments in and out the world your account is attached to a real human. So therefore it's not possible to change.

Create a new account if you want to do it right this time, and abandon the old one.

There is no evaluation phase on sl.

 

1. I don't cash out anything.

2. I don't need an official provision from LL to decide on what I personally deem to be an evaluation phase. 

3. I did create a new account just in case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly not sure why you're getting such a tough time here - well, other than putting stuff in the wrong forum. I've known several people need to make corrections, for fairly innocent reasons. Not everyone fills forms on the Internet in honestly, some advice actually recommends against it for personal safety. Service operators expectations in this regard are irrelevant, the end point is that you're intending to become more reputable, and LL are likely to appreciate this.

You can update the Date of Birth and Secret Question associated with your account by Submitting a Support Ticket. Linden operatives will get in touch, perhaps asking for scanned copies (or posted copies) of Real Life identification such as a passport, birth certificate.

By 'name' I assume you are referring to the Real Life name associated with your account (in which case, support ticket can accomplish this too), but in the unlikely event that you're talking about your Second Life name, this is not changed at the request of the user.

Hope this helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Freya Mokusei wrote:

Honestly not sure why you're getting such a tough time here - well, other than putting stuff in the wrong forum. I've known several people need to make corrections, for fairly innocent reasons. Not everyone fills forms on the Internet in honestly, some advice actually recommends against it for personal safety. Service operators expectations in this regard are irrelevant, the end point is that you're intending to become more reputable, and LL are likely to appreciate this.

You can update the Date of Birth and Secret Question associated with your account by
. Linden operatives will get in touch, perhaps asking for scanned copies (or posted copies) of Real Life identification such as a passport, birth certificate.

By 'name' I assume you are referring to the Real Life name associated with your account (in which case, support ticket can accomplish this too), but in the unlikely event that you're talking about your Second Life name, this is not changed at the request of the user.

Hope this helps!

You're right.  Many times I've heard of people supplying LL with correct personal information, once they realized how important it was that LL know who they really are... but only when their accounts were still active and in good standing.  I think sams' problem is that, if they used a fake name, they'll never be able to prove they are the person that once held that account... because they won't be able to supply the correct type of credentials associated with that name.  But they could certainly try and the only way to do that would be to file a Support Ticket as you've suggested.

...Dres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...