play second life offline

Urzul

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Open Sim Standalone works well on our computer which has Windows 7. 

You need to download 1)  Open Sim and 2)  a viewer such a Singularity.  

There's quite a procedure to set it all up but there are instructions to follow.  

You can add regions and avatar names.

What you get is just the bare bones - a round island (which you can terraform) with sea all around and a basic avatar in dressed in red and grey.  You have to do all the rest yourself.  There are a few textures in the invo library as well.

You can't import your SL 'account' directly into the standalone but you could make an avatar with the same name and then set about making it look the same.

Having a standalone complements Second Life nicely - you can play about with all the region parameters, for example.  It also makes a good sandbox for trying stuff out and is good for testing and re-testing textures for free before importing them to SL.  

It is possible to link your standalone to more than one computer in the house and have two avatars controlled from different computers in-world together.  We managed that once but I can't remember how.

A word of warning though.  Although unliklely, there's always the possibility that one day you'll find the standalone that you've spend countless hours building has gone, disappeared, vanished.

You have to start up mowes.exe before you run opensim.exe. If you have a 64 bit Windows try running OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe instead of OpenSim.exe.

Works fine on my Windows 8.1

There is an OpenSim group where you may get help if this doesn't work but don't just post that you have red writing. Post the error message.

I don't recommend using bare bones OpenSim it is quite complex to set up. Sim on a stick comes with the database and web interface all ready to go.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.