tAre there any stipulations or policies about/against doing commissions for L?

LilithServil

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

By commissions I mean commissions outside of SL; digital art, traditional art, etc.

I have threads set up on other sites where I take commissions from time to time and have a wide range of different payment options (generally virtual currency, or premium game currencies if said sites and games allow it). Would adding L to my list of accepted payment forms be allowed, or would I wind up having to accept USD instead to purchase L?

Just generally curious, since I know linden payments are perfectly accepted for a variety of inworld interaction or entertainment-based services, but not too sure if payments for services not directly inworld (like a commission for a colored bust of somebody's avatar, for example) are okay too.

Edit: For clarification purposes, I want to know if it's okay to do work offworld for linden.

I know creators take commissions for inworld creations, but if I were to do something not involving SL at all for someone (like drawing a piece of artwork for them), am I allowed to charge lindens for the service?

2 answers to this question

You may certainly take a commission in SL for work done in SL and be paid in L$.  That's what all creators do.  L$ have no value outside of SL, so the only way that you can receive them is for a client to pay you in SL, regardless of where you perform work.

You may want to study section 4 of the TOS carefully.

• Like 1

This is allowed.  Here is the official Linden Lab policy that covers it.

Linden Lab Official:Buying and selling real-life items in Second Life

From Second Life Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Second Life Wiki > Official Policies > Buying and selling real-life items in Second Life
Ll color vert 100.gif
Official Linden Lab® Information: You may access and link to this page, but you may not copy, distribute, modify, adapt, or translate any content on this page. This content is subject to the Terms of Service and is not available under the Creative Commons or any other license.

Have a suggestion to improve this page? Contact us.

Real Life Issues

Consider the following scenario:

Bob Avatar encounters, inworld, a store called CompuBuyPlace selling computer equipment. He finds a kiosk with a picture, taken from real life, of a nice wireless optical mouse, which he decides to buy. The Kiosk asks him to pay L$1,000,000 and supply his real-life address. Bob Avatar pays the million Linden Dollars and enters his address. Sure enough, two weeks later, a box arrives at Bob Avatar's real-life apartment from CompuBuyPlace containing the nice wireless optical mouse.

Can this actually happen?

Nothing in the Terms of Service prohibits this, but you should be aware that Second Life generally isn't designed to be a platform for "real world" business transactions, as Linden Dollars aren't designed as a "currency" or currency substitute. You therefore take these steps at your own peril, including potentially subjecting yourself to potential fraud (such as fraudulent L$ exchange), and subject to any relevant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.