Lost...

nickilou67

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Nickilou!

Second Life isn't a world of "supposed to"s. There are no rules (other than the Terms of Service, which more or less ask you to behave yourself), no goals and no scores. SL is a virtual playpen in which other residents have created almost everything you see. You can just wander around and soak it all in, seek out others for socializing, learn to create things yourself. You can get by without spending a penny, or you can spend as much as the mortage on a real-life trailer home.

Here's a basic introduction to SL...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User's_Manual

And here's the Destination Guide, an ever changing list of interesting places to visit...

http://secondlife.com/destinations

Others will be along to offer more suggestions. Until then, just wander around and say hello. Most of us don't bite!

ETA: You are only lost when you are not where you want to be, and don't know how to get where you do want to be. I've always found a way to be happy where I am, so I've never been lost.

;-).

• Like 3

Maddy said it very well.  When I came to Second Life many years ago, they had a slogan, "Your Life ... Your Imagination."  I'm a little sorry that they no longer use it, because it's a nice compact way of saying what Maddy just did.  This is life, not a game.  You decide what you want to do.  Use your imagination.

Once you have read the User's Manual that Maddy recommended, my own next suggestion would be to use your Map to find the Caledon Oxbridge region.  Go there.  Caledon Oxbridge University has a wonderful set of tutorials for newcomers and there are often helpers around who can answer questions and point you toward other interesting sites.  Then start exploring and meeting people.

• Like 2

When I was new, I found the Destination Guide on the Second Life website to be very helpful in finding things that I thought would be interesting to me to check out.  (On the SL website, it's under "What Next?"  - hover over that, and then choose Destination Guide).   It's categorized, so it's easy to navigate.  When you find an entry that you think you would like to go to, click on the "Visit This Destination" button.  You will then have an option to "Teleport" or "View on Map". 

Definitely visit Caledon Oxbridge University.  In addition to the tutorials, they also offer a lot of interesting classes about different aspects of SL. 

I visited a lot of the destinations in the "Newcomer Friendly Spots" in the destination guide when I was new and learning my way around. 

Have fun exploring!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.