My avatar on second life wont load, just stays as a 'egg' shape

Roxanne Crannock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After I sign into my account on second life I get a message saying "your avatar's clothing is still loading, people will still see you normally" or something but my avatar never loads, It stays as a white egg shape. Everything else loads fine and I have tried signing in several times now, leaving my laptop for a few hours and my avatar has still not loaded and still and 'egg' , what can I do to fix this ? Any help would be appreciated :)

7 answers to this question

You also appear as a cloud when some information about you gets lost on the way from one place to another.  However, you are not stuck this way permanently!  See the following steps for help on restoring yourself to normal:

1. From your main menu, click Edit > Preferences > Graphics tab.
  2. Slide the Quality & Performance slider to a lower setting.
  3. Check the box next to Custom on the Graphics tab.
  4. Move the Draw distance slider to the left.
  5. Slide the Mesh Details sliders to Low.
  6. Avatar Impostors is checked by default. If you have unchecked it, activate that feature again.

Additional helpful techniques:

• Log out and restart Second Life (relog).
  • Right-click yourself, select Appearance, do NOT save anything, and click Close.

If those don't work, try the following process:

1. Access and wear a default avatar.
  2. Re-wear your normal shape, skin, clothes, and attachments.  This step is much easier if you are using a pre-existing saved outfit, but remember not to save anything before your avatar is restored!.

Create a folder, name it something easy to find so you can always keep it in your inventory for future use, like Normal Me or whatever.
Put a copy of your usual basic components in there...Skin, shape, eyes, hair (including bald base) & a basic shirt and pair of pants.
Right click on the folder and select REPLACE

If you are newly-rezzed, you are probably at a location like help island, those places are very laggy, there are too many avatars. So do as Storm sugests and make sure you have avatar impostors checked, also put the drawing distance to the very minimun.  Continue on like if you'd see your avatar, teleport somewhere else and see what happens there.

The others have given great suggestions of what to try to get your avatar to rez. I would also suggest to disable http textures to see if that helps. You will find that in the Develop menu, which you enable in preferences (in Setup I think).

It might not help in this case, though, if it is so that everything but your avatar rezzes. It is worth a try anyhow, but you could enable it again if it makes no difference.

Oh yeah. And clear cache.

- Luc -

I had the same problem.  I just went into Advanced, Character Test, and choose Male or Female.  It'll load a default character, once it does that, then you can just reattach your items, and wear your body, shape, etc.  It's a pain to redo all of those, but it beats not being able to see your avatar at all.  (Using Phoenix Viewer when I did this)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.