St. Patrick's Day - What Are You Going To Do Today?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So it's St. Patricks Day and people all over SL (and RL for that matter) will be bouncing about like crazy wee people dressed in green and doing things that have little to do with Ireland not to mind St. Patrick. But it's all in the name of good fun - so have you any plans for St. Patrick's Day in SL?

Cabbage and bacon, huh. Never heard of that dish before. So of course, I had to research it further..

"Despite the popular assumption in North America that corned beef dishes are typical of traditional Irish cuisine, it was not until the wave of 18th century Irish immigration to the United States that much of the ethnic Irish first began to consume corned beef. In Ireland today, the serving of corned beef is geared toward tourist consumption and most Irish in Ireland do not identify the ingredient with native cuisine.

"The popularity of corned beef over bacon to the immigrated Irish was likely present due to the fact that corned beef in their native land was considered a luxury product, but was cheaply and readily available in America. The Jewish population produced similar koshered cured beef product made from the brisket which the Irish immigrants purchased as corned beef from Jewish butchers. This was likely facilitated by the close cultural interactions and collaboration of these two immigrant cultures."

Learn something new every day.

ETA: Reference URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

The Jewish population produced similar koshered cured beef product made from the brisket which the Irish immigrants purchased as corned beef from Jewish butchers.
Learn something new every day.

Aye. And pastrami is corned beef smoked. Something I keep planning is a real pastrami feed but somehow the idea of getting up at three in the morning so that the pastrami can be fully smoked by lunchtime always puts me off.

I see you're starting early with the Gaeilge, Mags. I'm saving mine for this evening, since I only have the one phrase. Sadly it isn't the one I've always wanted--'Get me a keg of beer!'--but it's all I have :smileyhappy:

Mags Indigo wrote:

So it's St. Patricks Day and people all over SL (and RL for that matter) will be bouncing about like crazy wee people dressed in green and doing things that have little to do with Ireland not to mind St. Patrick. But it's all in the name of good fun - so have you any plans for St. Patrick's Day in SL?

My plan is to be at the Hangout, cheering you on! :smileyhappy:

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote:

My plan is to be at the Hangout, cheering you on! :smileyhappy:

Well the playlist is ready... and it's... great (ly different) :smileyhappy:

I've begun drinking - bath - nap and then some more drinking

Yeah I'll be just right by 6 :smileywink:

Mags Indigo wrote:

I'm plannin' on dancin' til the wee hours of the morn, enjoying your disc spinning and the craic at the Hangout!

Going to listen to you DJ at the hangout, of course! And I'm going to try to drag Zeke along too.

Oh, and about that corned beef and cabbage? Blech! But Zeke likes it. Ugh. It must be in his blood. His ancestry is Irish on both sides. Our RL last name is Irish.

Piece of trivia that you probably already know but others may not... according to Zeke, I probably should have bought an orange dress to wear tonight instead of the green one. Apparently Catholics wear green but Protestants are supposed to wear orange on St. Patty's Day. Who knew?

Quinn Morani wrote:

Going to listen to you DJ at the hangout, of course! And I'm going to try to drag Zeke along too.

Oh, and about that corned beef and cabbage? Blech! But Zeke likes it. Ugh. It must be in his blood. His ancestry is Irish on both sides. Our RL last name is Irish.

Piece of trivia that you probably already know but others may not... according to Zeke, I probably should have bought an orange dress to wear tonight instead of the green one. Apparently Catholics wear green but Protestants are supposed to wear orange on St. Patty's Day. Who knew?

I'm sorry but... Americans have such strange ideas...

Corned beef is a New England thing and I've never known anyone to wear orange on St Patricks Day (unless they wanted a fight). Where do you people hear these things???

Looking forward to seeing you and Zeke there :smileytongue:

Mags Indigo wrote:

Quinn Morani wrote:

I'm sorry but... Americans have such strange ideas...

Corned beef is a New England thing and I've never known anyone to wear orange on St Patricks Day (unless they wanted a fight). Where do you people hear these things???

Looking forward to seeing you and Zeke there :smileytongue:

Other people were talking about corned beef and cabbage in this thread first, and I'M the one who gets labeled a strange American? I see how it is. Sheesh. :smileytongue:

As for the orange/green thing, I've never seen anyone wear orange on St. Patrick's Day either. I'm just repeating what Zeke told me. You'll have to take it up with him if he joins us at the hangout tonight. But a quick Google search at least confirms that it's not an unknown idea. I didn't dig deep enough to discover where it originated, though.

Well Paddy's Day is over for another year. I hope everyone had fun and that the day provided some pleasant diversion for people on the forums and of course Inworld.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread - it made some great, fun and informative reading - thanks everyone.

I'd also like to thank those of you who braved my DJing at the the hangout in the wee hours (my time) of the morning to get together and have a party - and what a party it was. I think we came close to crashing the sim - thanks everyone - it was awesome to meet you all and I'd like to thank Sylvia, Maureen and Maddy for everything.

Here's to next Year!

Thanks again, Mags, for DJing for us last night...everyone was having a great time, and you played excellent tunes! (And like Mo, said, it was fun listening to you...you have a lovely accent!)

And yeah, I think we did come perilously close to crashing the sim (woot!)...at one point I counted heads and we had 34 there if I recall correctly. Well done! :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.