Whatever happened to... SL browser version?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember this being announced months ago; play SL in an internet browser.

I tried several times but was never selected to give it a go.

Now I am wondering if this project is still going ahead, can we try it somewhere, will it go official soon?

Any news?

Just like bigger prim sizes and mesh it sometimes seems that something is announced and then almost forgotten.

I think that it had some potential, a very basic viewer that allowed people to just have a look.

There are many people (some elderly and not very computer oriented) who I would love to show around a few places but it can be horrendous to explain SL to friends.

Often I try and get people to join SL but it takes a lot of effort and many are not keen on that.

Govindira Galatea wrote:

I don't know what the status is, but I hope that its status is
dead
, never to be revived again. It is a bad idea, probably born of Linden Lab failing to understand what its true genius is: in its 3D client, the wildly free customization of almost everything, but particularly our avatars.  

Supposedly the idea was to bring all of that to the browser. No change in what SL is, just ditching the idea of having to download software for it.

Shame.

A super duper basic viewer that just allowed you to walk around and chat in a brower would be great and a sollution for people who just want to look around before deciding to download everything and get dug in.

When I first mentioned the brower version on my facebook a few dozen friends were interested to come see my sim, all of these have tried and given up, can't be bothered to try the official viewer or simply have computers that can't handle SL.

The browser-based tech preview required a lot of bandwidth and a very stable internet connection which apparently a lot of people didn't have judging from the numbers who were told by the bandwidth sensing app that their connections were substandard and not allowed into the trial.

It was an interesting proof of concept but I think on a practical level there's just too much data being pushed for the browser version to work well for most people.

Jo Yardley wrote:

I remember this being announced months ago; play SL in an internet browser.

I tried several times but was never selected to give it a go.

Now I am wondering if this project is still going ahead, can we try it somewhere, will it go official soon?

Any news?

Just like bigger prim sizes and mesh it sometimes seems that something is announced and then almost forgotten.

I used it, loved the ability to show friends SL using it. It was a fun Beta and I do wish it still worked or had been promoted on say FB or Twitter.

Hi, the SL web pilot has been hosted by Gakai, and Gakai itself only went to semi-public beta testing this month. At least for now, Gakai is concentrating on providing online demonstrations for game publishers, so at present this is not the web client for regular use that some people hope for. It will be nice if that changes in the future, using this system or another one like it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.