How do I find nearby chat history

Wtell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi Wtell (William Tell, is that you?),

On a Mac, you'll find the public chat log in...

Library->Application Support->ViewerName->UserName->Chat.txt

Where...

"ViewerName" is the name of the particular viewer you use (SecondLife, Firestorm, etc)
"Username" is the user name of the avatar who's public chat log you wish to see. You'll have multiple avatar subfolders if you have multiple avatars.

• Like 1

Alwin and Maddy are right, but for the history to exist at all you must first have enabled chat logging in Me/Preferences.  There, you can turn on logging of both local chat and IMs, saving them to your hard drive.  You can specify where they will be saved.  

Once you have this turned on, simply browse to the folder you specified in Preferences.  Each IM will be logged in a file called Avatarname.txt, where "Avatarname" is the name of the avatar or the group you had the IM conversation with.  Each time you open a new IM with them, this file will be added to.

Local (or nearby) chat is in a file named chat.txt.  Over time, this file can become so large it is unwieldy.  I open mine about every three months, cut the oldest three months of chat and save it to a new file, labeled (for example) oldchat3Q2015.txt.  This keeps the chat file to a manageable size.

If you ever do a clean install of your viewer, your log files will be deleted if you have used the default file location for them.  I specify a folder outside of the standard location to keep this from happening.  Another issue with leaving it in the default location (username\apps\roaming) is that this is by default a "hidden" location.  To see it, you'll have to go to Control Panel/Personalization/Tools/Folder Options/View, and check Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.