How to block IMs send by an object?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey,

Sometimes I get IMs looking like this by email (because all my offline IMs get forwarded via email):

===========================================
The object 'object 123' has sent you a message from Second Life:
bla bla text bla advertising.
===========================================

(That is not the real object name. Because I don't want to accuse anybody.)
So I clicked on my mute list "add object by name":
object 123

But I still get the messages. They never show ingame when I log in.
My question is: How do I get rid of this messages?
I wrote the owner to unsubscribe me, but he doesn't respond. What can I do?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum section.

Thanks.

I knew somebody would say that. Okay I agree. But that is NOT my question if somebody is a friend of mine or not.

My question is: how do I technically block an object or unsubscribe from it without muting the owner?

by the way: I think on one day I already did that (muting the owner), and the object continue sending me IMs. that didn't helped.

Hiccups Hudson wrote:

I knew somebody would say that. Okay I agree. But that is NOT my question if somebody is a friend of mine or not.

My question is: how do I technically block an object or unsubscribe from it without muting the owner?

by the way: I think on one day I already did that (muting the owner), and the object continue sending me IMs. that didn't helped.

If you mute the owner, you also prevent him from sending you anything. 

If the sender is a friend, you can simply ask to be removed from his list and he will do it.

@ Pamela Galli

I tried it. The mute guy can not send me stuff manually, but his objects still are sending IMs.

@ Ren Toxx

I am using Firestorm.

How can I click the object if it is NOT shown in the chat and I do not know on which sim/land it is!?

(Thanks anyways for the advice.)

@ ALL

I got a message that I was unsubscribed. It is solved now.

Hiccups Hudson wrote: I am using Firestorm.

How can I click the object if it is NOT shown in the chat and I do not know on which sim/land it is!?

Preferences > Chat > Visuals > “Mark objects with (no name) when they speak...”. This will ensure object IMs will have a clickable header in Nearby Chat, and from it you'll get a pop-up with a clickable SLURL to the object’s sim and exact location. With the typical subscriber this may give you a private relay that won’t let you unsubscribe, rather than the public panel that would, but at least you’ll get the sim, and from there you can use Area Search to locate the public subscriber.

Hiccups Hudson wrote:

@ Pamela Galli

I tried it. The mute guy can not send me stuff manually, but his objects still are sending IMs.

That contradicts both my experience and the information in the SL wiki:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mute

"When you mute another Resident, you will not hear their voice, receive IMs from them, see any lines from them in Local Chat, hear any sounds they generate, nor see their particles. Any items offered by a muted object or Resident will be silently ignored (ie, you will not be notified, and you will not accept it). If avatar impostors is enabled, muted Residents and attached objects will be replaced by a gray avatar impostor.

You won't be able to receive messages or items from objects you've muted.

When a Resident is muted, all items owned by that Resident are automatically muted as well."

The LL has it both ways when it comes to blocking messages (muting messages... whatever you want to call it.)

In the viewer you can block a user or object.  Then the viewer stops showing you messages from them.  Blocking either the object or the object owner will 'block' chat from the object.  Super.

Now if they are IMs and you are offline and you allow IMs to be EMailed and you block the object rather than the object owner then:  you will still get the emailed messages.  Not so super.  But - when you come in world your viewer will block the messages still.  So you at least don't have to see them twice.

But you can.  Because you can enable seeing the blocked chat.  See?  Because the LL is having the server keep sending it to you.  It's your viewer, optionally, blocking the chat.  So a person might block an object and still get chat from the object and think things are broke.  Probly they aren't.  You have to check your settings.

It appears that blocking the object owner does block IMs going to EMail.

Nothing is simple.

Also - I may have confused myself but I think I'm right.

I only tested with Firestorm.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.