Gesture Sound distances - getting mixed answers

Zazaaji

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello once again all. I am trying to figure out exactly how far away people can hear the sound for gestures I make. I have searched for an answer on this, but have been finding VERY mixed answers for this from various years and various sources. Some answers I have found are (assuming hearer's have all settings like media streaming turned on):

Gesture Sounds are only hearable by you, not others.

Gesture Sounds are glitched on viewers, and can be heard as far as the hearer's draw distance is set to, even if it's 3000m+.

Gesture Sounds go the same distance as the /say text chat, 20m.

Gesture Sounds can always be heard by everyone on the sim, at all times.

Gesture Sounds go the same distance as /shout text chat, 100m.

With all these mixed answers, I do not know what is right. I'm thinking that they changed it over the years or something though. What I'm wondering is: In this month and this year, when someone uses a /gesture command that has a sound file playing with it, what is the distance that others can hear it?

Sound gestures are odd. Usually you only hear them within chat distance. That being said...you can hear them if you cam in to the person using them. That's because any sound clip you use is going to be loaded to everyone in the sim, whether they are within chat distance or on the other side of the sim. So...long ones can be really laggy in a busy sim. I know I can hear the sounds of my fountains on my parcels even 2K meters up in the air but again, that's because of the way they load. I am, however, polite and have limit sounds to my parcel checked or everyone on the sim would hear them.

A good way to answer the OP's question is to use a 2nd avatar or Alt  and perform tests using two viewers. Run a gesture on one avatar and move your other avatar until you find the distance that the gesture sound stops being audible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.