Why do mesh alpha layers not match up with the mesh clothes ?

Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. I need to know how to create perfectly matched alpha layers both for mesh apparel I have bought from stores and some full perm items too.  I have to ask this question but if it has been asked before I apologize. I cannot understand why so many beautiful mesh clothing creations have alpha layers that are so much smaller then the mesh clothing they are meant to cover that it makes the clothes not fit right?

I cannot tell you how many times i have had to pass up on a mesh outfit because the alpha layer was too small and bts of skin on my avatar stuck out in various places forcing me to keep trying on larger and larger sizes until the bits of skin were finally covered up but then the rest of the outfit was way too big. I could easily fit into a smaller size that fit better if the alpa layer was exact size of the ouftit . I also have a lot of mesh clothes that come with alpha layers I do not like .

I do not understand this. It makes no sense why so many sellers and designers who are obviously talented cannot figure out how bad this is? Why don't they create better alpha layers that match their apparel?

I have bought some full perm clothes and would like to know what tips and triicks there may be to create an alpha layer that matches exactly the entire mesh outfit. ? Does anyone know how to do it ? Is there some special trick or software that helps ? Thanks

There are two actual answers to this. One is that oftentimes designers just use the alpha that came with the template and it is not a good one (yes laziness comes into play). The other is (especially where breasts are concerned is that  there are SO many variences with possibility (that how much do the breasts sag thing seems to be the biggest issue) that it is very difficult to cover all the bases.

You can of course make your own alpha (much like making clothes although there are no textures involved. While I do NOT like doing this, I do it when needed (not in SL any longer as I have a mesh body, but in OpenSim where I of course do not.

I agree though that it is amazing how bad alpha layers can be. I had one dress (DRESS) that the alpha layer was basically "shorts". NOTHING up top and when dancing that did NOT work. I made my own and that is fine. Sometimes, however the mesh is not rigged correctly and so no matter how much effort you are willing to put into an alpha, you can't get it to work. That happens too. Best just to learn how to make your own.

Rigged mesh is better for clothing then unrigged ? What about the new fitted mesh? I have noticed fitted mesh does not work well in some sl viewers. do you know why? Even with fitted mesh sometimes there still is some skin sticking out but not as much. Do you think fitted mesh will completely replaced rigged for mesh clothing?

Thank you for the video. Of course it was confusing to me because I cannot use blender. . I do have photoshop extended currently though.  I have noticed that the mesh template textures that come with the full perm mesh clothing do not match in any way the  standard templates for skins or painted on clothes, and yet it appears alpha layers  for the mesh clothes apparently must be created on those same skin and painted on clothes templates.. How do I match up the shape of the alpha to the shape of the mesh clothes exactly?

In order to make the alpha later fit the exact dimensions of the mesh outfit do you need to see it in 3 d and somehow draw the correct alpha shape on? Does anyone know how it can be done? I have to say that rarely if ever have I seen an alpha layer that fit the exact dimensions of the mesh clothing on top of it.  Does anyone do it that way ? That is what  I would like to learn to do .

You could create your own alpha layers in Photoshop or Gimp.  You might want to look into this little program sold on the Marketplace:

AvPainter - SL Clothes Design and Preview Tool - Full Version

It lets you paint directly on an avatar mesh.  I don't know if it does alphas but if not you could paint the entire avatar white and any place you want to be invisible paint black.

Then open it up in Photoshop and use the black and white image and create an alpha.

I bought this program years and years ago.  I don't need it anymore since I have Maya and 3D Coat which allows me me to paint directly on the avatar mesh and are much better at it and have more tools and options than AvPainter.

But if all you wan to do is paint simple alphas for your clothes AvPainter is a very good choice.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

Whatever software you use to create your alpha mask images, use local textures in SL  for your worn alpha to test it. Use both a pose stand, and your favorite dynamic animations, and wear your related mesh item(s). If possible, set the mesh item(s) slightly transparent so you can see your skin beneath.

This way, whenever you save the texture from your image editor of choice, it automatically updates in your viewer. No need you use the beta grid, no need to constantly reapply the texture, no cost to you until you are ready to upload your perfect alpha mask.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.