Top SLM searched/viewed/sold numbers

Tara Chester

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It would be great to have this exportable in .csv or whatever, but until then... Here are my basic market numbers available in the Marketplace Reports tab (not the actual numbers, but searches divided by views - SEARCHES column, and views divided by sales - VIEWS column, resulting in one sale) for my top 5 selling products (first column), price range from 100 (1) to 500 (5) L$:

Product /   Track

Searches

Views

Sales

Price

Root SLM Category

1          /      0.76

Business

2         /       3.75

Home and Garden

3         /       2.09

Home and Garden

4         /        0.5

Building Components

5         /        6.1

Recreation and Entertainment

Numbers per individual product are pretty steady. They can tell me a lot, or nothing, like any statistics.

Added: Track numbers (the lower the better), result of Searches divided by Views divided by Price. Unlike standard views/sales ratio (conversion) which, to some extent, can be used to compare totaly different products, this number is useful to compare your own or similar product perfromance on the marketplace as a whole.

I would appreciate if you compare them to your results, and share your numbers, ideas, conclusions here, so we can make more sense out of them, and to see if there is a room for improvements. Thanks  :)

Edited: Merchants from ALL CATEGORIES are welcome, the more the better!

this was heavily edited:

@Mickey

It's a rate number (or how i like to call it, ratio lol), that represents how many searches are resulting in 1 view (42 in this case), not the actual number of searches. It's an average for the whole time the product is on the Marketplace, not per month.

I'm not exaclty certain of the standard terminology, but I guess you can think about Searches column  as  impressions/hits rate,  and Views column is called conversion rate (and usualy it's sales divided by views, not the other way round, like i did it, but there's to many zeros for my taste lol).

I "compute" like this lol... for example, the product 1 above, real numbers are (X) 292681 times appeared in search,  (Y)6845 views,  (Z)587 sales.   X/Y=43, Y/Z=11. Out of 43 apperances in search results, I get 11 views and 1 sale. Of course, Y/Z is much more accurate and relevant info.

I have 40 products, but most of them are armchairs at the moment (im hooked lol)... i guess you can say i have 10 different types of products.

Not sure if I read your chart calculations right but I based all my Searches and Views ratio to 1 sale (i.e for every 1 sale, I would have x number of recorded searches and y number of recorded views from the SLM reports).

For me, my top seller by far (4.5 times more sales than my 2nd biggest seller) is my FREEBY Demo product. So its price is "0".  The prince number of "1" meant under 100L.  The price number of "9" meant around 900L.

Product

Searches

Views

Sales

Price

Category

Landscaping

Landscaping

Landscaping

Landscaping

Art

I get tons of search result hits per sale as you can see.

yes, its interesting to see that there are so many searches for landscaping items... big competition in that field, i guess... although, i never looked for how many of them is on the marketplace. i bet clothing items have even bigger search number and even lower views/sales ratio... in this regard, my building items are most successful.

Following Tara's method of searches = search/views and views = views/ sales

Product

Searches

Views

Sales

Price

Root Category

Home and Garden

Home and Garden

Home and Garden

Home and Garden

Home and Garden

To come back to her suggestion...

@LL: Would it be possible to get .csv export for these stats. I also thing that we can make great metrics out of it and I do not want to write it down by hand as I have more then 170 products in the list and it would be everytime outdates when more sales come trough.

So CSV export is a must here. Please add the posibility to do it.

For what time period do the stats apply?  Views starting when?  Sales from when?  I have asked that LL allow us to see how many times these things occur on a daily basis.  How many times was this product viewed on x day, searched for, sold, etc.  The stats now mean nothing to me, except for sales of course.

@ Robert Galland Statistics are from the moment product was listed on the marketplace, but I believe time has no significant influence here. But, of course it would be better to have more detailed reports.

My practical problem also is that Top searches are on separate tab (page), so you have to go back and forth all the time, either between pages or browser windows. It would be much more useful to see it all under one page, columns next to each other, and then we could easily copy/paste it, but export is by far the best option.

Maybe someone can help here: is there an easy way to import the Reports data into Excel directly from the browser page source code or from the saved page off line?

@Toysoldier Thor Thats good, i think, it can show there is standard ration in the category. It would be good to establish a relation between those numbers and someting we all can see, like number of products in the category, or something else.

I'm not the most analytical cookie, so as far as i can tell, only two things can make search number high: number of keywords we put for our product, and number of searches in the marketplace. Its  obvious that  more people are searching for "sculpted something" then, in my case, "armchair".

But what i dont understand is this: what counts as "appeared in search"? Only when you type in something in "keywords"  search box, or also when im browsing through products without using it? At this point, i have to assume both participate in the search number equaly, and people are using both ways equaly.

But if im on the wrong track here, someone please correct me.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Seems there is similarities in Sculpties and sculpted prims as both Made's and my numbers are very similar on the ratios of search hits and views to a sale.

I noticed before our businesses have things incommun. Like where the products are sold. You have written before on the forum that your sales are for 80% or more made on the marketplace and 20% or less in world. I have the same figures when it comes to where people buy our stuff.

Tara Chester wrote:

I'm not the most analytical cookie, so as far as i can tell, only two things make search number high: number of keywords we put for our product, and number of searches in the marketplace. Its  obvious that  more people are searching for "sculpted something" then, in my case, "armchair".

I'm not sure this is the case. My items might be searched by very different 'terms' then 'sculpted something'. And they might be ignored for that reason as well. For example because we sell Photoshop files with the sculpties one of our keywords is "Photoshop". People looking for clothing templates who don't want tga templates but Photoshop templates might want to search for those by using "Photoshop" as a keyword. That search counts as a search for almost all our items. But since the person who searches is not looking for sculpts but for clothing templates, a hit on "Photoshop" does not mean anything for our business, it won't lead to views or sales.

But I cannot get rid of that keyword either, cause people using the combination of the keywords 'sculpt' and 'Photoshop' need to be able to find us.

Besides of that we are a business to business seller, that implicates that  my target group (builders and creators) is much smaller then the targetgroup of a seller who sells readymades to the general public. The prices of ready made products are also a lot cheaper then our full perms items. But this general public is still able to find our products when using the right keywords. So when a 'normal customer' is searching for a bottle of champagne, we get a hit in our the search record for our bottle of champagne. But this customer is not looking for an item he can build with his own name and retexture to his own wishes. There are a lot of nice champagnebottles available on the marketplace for a much lower prices, but with limited right. The general public doesn't need full perms items, and will consider our champagn bottle as too expensive. And indeed for his specific needs is our product too expensive.
In other words: we are found a lot by people who are not our targetgroup. They won't view or buy the item. So from all our hits on a keyword like champagne maybe 10% or less reaches our targetgroup. I think that is more the reasons that we have so many searches compared to sales. 

Tara Chester wrote:

Awesome numbers. I want to be tuff as you.
:)

Thanks Tara, there are 2 of us at TUFF so those are our top 10. And thanks for this useful statistical analysis tool.

I also calculated my tracking numbers, which is a great indicator of how well an item is doing in the market, as it takes price into account. So although my top selling item looks great with 1 view per 14 searches and 1 sale per 6 views, the tracking number is 2.3. This is high since the item is priced to sell and not for high profit -  works a bit like a freebie for us. Whereas my 4th item can clearly be seen as my best performer with a tracking number of 0.3.

For those who want to do the same, it can be done as follows:

a. Searches = search/views (this tells you how many times your item appears on a search page for every view it gets)

b. Views = views/sales  (the number of views per sale)

c, Price = Price/100  (e.g. 1 = L$100, 5 = L$500 etc). Rounding off is useful for simplicity.

d. Tracking Number = a/b/c

I'm glad you find it useful. :) don't forget, it takes into account searches also, otherwise it would only show product success in terms of revenue.

And yes, you want to do the math for all (or almost all) of your selling products, not just top 5 or 10, because, in Reports they are ordered by number of sold units. That doesn't mean we have the right strategy for each of our products. Maybe there is a neglected hero. We all know how volatile Marketplace can be.

Ok, but if I understand you correctly, you are proving my point on factors of high search results (my examples are probably bad). I didn't say you have to get rid of some keywords, but rather that certain group of products will have higher number of searches no matter what (because of the keywords that have to be there, or maybe because people want those products more, or maybe same people search more, which can easily be us lol), and only if we want to compare their performance with other group of products, we have to keep this in mind.

I think perhaps this is a good thing for you. If my logic is correct, because of this "naturally" high number, small chages in tweaking keywords will be more visible, therefore easier to make corrections, right?

Product

Searches

Views

Sales

Price

Root SLM Category

Apparel

1 to 4 are demos. If demos are counted out, it gives as below.

Product

Searches

Views

Sales

Price

Root SLM Category

Apparel

Apparel

Apparel

Apparel

Apparel

I found an answer to my own earlier question: yes, there is a simple and pretty straight forward way to import data from the Web into Excel, in this case from the Reports Top Selling Products page on the Marketplace, at least for first 20 products, since there are only 20 products per page.

Edited:

Copy/paste the 3 lines below into notepad, replace XXXXXX with your merchant number (you can see it in your browser's address bar, when you come to Merchants home page - note: this number is different from your store number), save it as something.iqy file (query file), and open it with Excel:

WEB
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/merchants/XXXXXX/reports/top_selling_products

Make sure you dont have empty lines or spaces before WEB, that you are logged in, and answer Yes or Enable when Excel asks you some stuff (if you receive "Edit the query" message, right click the selected cell, select "Edit the query", and login again: now you can close the window and refresh the connection, or you can make your own new web query). You can also save the web page as HTML only file and use this as data source (which is useful for comparing daily, weekly or monthly results). If you are making your own web query, make sure to select little yellow arrow only for the table not the whole page. As far as I know this works in any Excel but not in OpenOffice Calc.

This can be done for each 20 products page or Top Searches page (or any other page that contains table data (Orders, Transaction History...)). If i find a way to import all this at once, I'll let you know. In the mean time, we dont have to wait for .csv export option and we can arrange  imports manually, it's much easier then typing numbers. And then the real fun can begin: formulas. :)

@Kerhop Seattle

I was just playing with the Excel Data menu. Maybe someone with better writing skills can post it in details on Wiki, I'm not the best person to do it. Here is Microsoft offical page on this i just found:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/get-external-data-from-a-web-page-HA010218472.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/get-external-data-from-a-web-page-HA010218472.aspx' rel="nofollow">And one more important thing! The fastest and automated way I discovered so far to IMPORT ALL REPORT PAGES, not just for first 20 products is BY RECORDING MACRO of web query for each page. All you have to do is start recording, and after query for each page, select the next empty cell below the already imported results, and make the next query. You can delete repeating rows with names of the colums as part of the macro operation or after you finish recording. It worked very smoothly for me, and the best thing is you have to do this ONLY ONCE for all your product report pages, and save 2 copies (or in separate sheet) of this as macro enabled excel file. The next time when you open the file, you will be asked to allow data connections and macros, run macro (or refresh the connection), and you have updated numbers for your products to further sort, compare and analyze!

If you have problem while doing this, feel free to contact me.

Unfortunatelly, you have to record our own macros, because macro template which would suit all of us, would require VBA skills, and thats beyond me.

The only trouble so far is Top Searched page, because products are in different order there, I can't connect them with sales and views properly. But I'm working on that. Maybe someone with more experience in Excel can help us here.

In the mean time, I ask more merchants and creators to post their ratio tables. Please, feel free, so we can all have more accurate results.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.