Friend-Reaching Service

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't you wish Linden Lab would offer a friend-reaching service?

i.e. when someone doesn't log on for awhile, that you could file a ticket, and LL would contact them using the email they supplied when signing up (which you might not know -- and rightly so, people shouldn't give out their real emails to strangers on the Internet).

Sometimes I get tenants who tell me they are dying in real life -- I'm never sure if it's true, but I think possibly it is in some cases.

I sometimes have tenants with partners, they live with them for years, and all of a sudden one will dump the other and not explain and just disappear, and that person left behind suffers terribly -- they wish they could at least get an email confirmation the person is OK, but just not wishing contact.

Once I had this couple who rented from me for years, they led a robust and creative life with creations, stores, events, lovely interior decorating, and one day suddenly both of them disappeared at the same time, never to be heard of again. I  think of them as somehow, perhaps they drove off into the sunset and fell off a cliff, like the tragic RL couple that formed the basis for the song  "The Way" by Fastball.

Of course, this should be an opt-in. For example, it could be a service you pay for "add friend-reaching". The Lindens could automate it so that they didn't have to fuss with it.

Of course, some people set IMs to go to email, and if you do that, IMs really shouldn't cap (and they don't, despite what many say). And that should be good enough, but some people might supply a different email for the "friend notification service".

If I decided to leave SL cold-turkey, I would not want to receive an email from anyone asking why. I do blend RL and SL to a certain extent, but if I didn't give my SL friend my RL contact info, then I don't want them to contact me out of SL. There is already a Facebook option if people choose to give the info out. You would have to be extremely careful of stalkers. Many just create new avi's or persona's and move on. They have their reasons. I would not opt-in and I certainly wouldn't pay to have someone reach out and touch me if I chose to leave. Yes, I have had friends (some with sad stories) disappear, but that was THEIR choice to go.

If people are my friend - according to *my* definition of what a friend is; if I drop dead my friend will know of my passing before LL is even remotely aware.  Way before!

So yes I will support a friend reaching service because it serves absolutely no purpose and would cost no money to LL if automated properly.  However, it would cost to automate.  Perhaps raise everyones tier by .50 cents a month to help fund.  

I like the idea.

To keep it simple a Resident would enable all friends on their list or none.

Once selected this option could not be undone but it will expire if one of two factors are met.

Factor 1 is to follow the link in the out-reach message sent from SL and click Approve or Ignore.

Clicking either option will disable the feature to the default (Opt Out) state. 

There would have to be a limit on the Total number of out-reach messages any one resident could receive (3?).

Factor 2 is, you receive 1- 3 out-reach requests and you do not reply within 7 days for each request (21 days total possible). The feature with default to the Opt Out state. No confirmation

Residents could request 1 out-reach, 1 time for each friend who enabled the out-reach option prior to your request. If a friend is absent for a period greater than 30- 60?? consecutive days you can request 1 out-reach.

Clicking Approve will send confirmation that the outreach was completed.

Clicking Ignore will set the feature to the default Opt Out state. No confirmation  

Out-reach request Message options: 1-5 pre-written selections. No entry field.

To protect the privacy of Residents, all request for an out-reach will produce 1 of 2 possible events for the avatar making the request.

1. is Out-reach completed message

2. is a non response. The requester will not know if the 7 days expired or if the ignore selection was choosen.

It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.   

I think if  my 'friends' were to leave SL suddenly and unexpectedly, without letting me know, then I would have to assume, after a certain period of time, that they wouldn't want any further communication unless of course they had passed away.  All my closest friends have my email and Facebook details......yes that might sound foolish but I trust my intuition.....so we can keep in touch if ever one or other of us have a problem with SL.  Having said that I think the friend reaching service could be a good idea.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Don't you wish Linden Lab would offer a friend-reaching service?

i.e. when someone doesn't log on for awhile, that you could file a ticket, and LL would contact them using the email they supplied when signing up (which you might not know -- and rightly so, people shouldn't give out their real emails to strangers on the Internet).

Sometimes I get tenants who tell me they are dying in real life -- I'm never sure if it's true, but I think possibly it is in some cases.

I sometimes have tenants with partners, they live with them for years, and all of a sudden one will dump the other and not explain and just disappear, and that person left behind suffers terribly -- they wish they could at least get an email confirmation the person is OK, but just not wishing contact.

Once I had this couple who rented from me for years, they led a robust and creative life with creations, stores, events, lovely interior decorating, and one day suddenly both of them disappeared at the same time, never to be heard of again. I  think of them as somehow, perhaps they drove off into the sunset and fell off a cliff, like the tragic RL couple that formed the basis for the song  "The Way" by Fastball.

Of course, this should be an opt-in. For example, it could be a service you pay for "add friend-reaching". The Lindens could automate it so that they didn't have to fuss with it.

Of course, some people set IMs to go to email, and if you do that, IMs really shouldn't cap (and they don't, despite what many say). And that should be good enough, but some people might supply a different email for the "friend notification service".

When I click the red X box from my viewer second life ends ..... *meows*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.