How many alts are you allowed?

kclantern1984

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How many alts are you allowed? I read that the limit is 5, but is that "ever, throughout all of history" or just "at a time"? if you delete one alt, can you make another? 

Also, how do you respond to an answer if you need more info?  Never mind. Found the "Permalink" button. I was looking for one called "Reply", but whatever.

7 answers to this question

Technically, You are allowed 5 avatar accounts per household but in reality you may have more. This is not strictly enforced. Linden Lab knows by IP address and by your own Machine ID if multiple accounts are being used from your home but as long as you are not causing any trouble you usually will not be notified about having more than 5 accounts.

Well, I have 3 right now, and I had 2 more that I made early on, when I was first experimenting with alts. They were ok, but since I was still experimenting, I didn't like the names I came up with, so I deleted them and came up with 2 new, better names. Now I want to make another with a better name. Can I do this? Will it count as alt #4 or alt #6?

That's 5 at any one time.  You can delete alts and make new ones all day long.  This is, unfortunately, one way in which griefers and trolls continue to pester the world.

And besides the Permalink feature, you can "reply" to people by editing your original post, as you have already done.  This is better than a Permalink because a lot of us don't open those routinely.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.