Different Communities coming together?

Ankha1488303114

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a new resident (obviously) and I was just wondering because I know some people from 2008 (and before) I've talked to said that its a lot easier for say a human to walk into a furry club, or vise versa than it was when they first started. That the different communities actually hated and tried to get each other into trouble and such.

I know there are good and bad eggs in ever group, but I'm just wondering if their opinion is shared or is it as divided as it it was when my friends first started second life.

What are your thoughts?

I honestly would think that things have gotten easier or blending. I mean I'm speaking from personal experience and every sl experience is different. I honestly think it has. I mean there are people that stay well within their respected SL communities (I'm no different) but there are others that will seek out people and vise versa.

It all has to do with attitudes towards others. If someone has a snotty attitude with me because I'm a furry in secondlife, well that's not going to bode well for them.

I used to be one of the people that were wary of people outside of the furry community, but I've gotten over it. Am I still cautious of new people? Yes but that is just apart of my personality. Like I said before its all in how you view people and what they are in, and open mind is key in secondlife.

In my experience though, not everyone has it and some people tend to take things a bit too seriously and personally.

I recall much bigger battles in past years between, say, furries and Goreans. I don't see those kind of big battles now but I think it's because the world has gotten larger, more dispersed, etc.

I have rentals open to any style and I see furries, Gorean, fairies, norms etc living side by side and the lifestyle itself doesn't cause them friction.

What causes problems are other things like encroachment on the view, putting up giant megaprims, etc.

However, I personally would never go to Luskwood if I were not a furry. That is, they will have concerts there open to all and you could just fly around and look at the forest, but it's a furry community. It's meant for furries. Same with the Goreans or whatever. They are intended to be a certain culture and style and aren't interested in PC integration.

• Like 1

Yes, and no and still pretty much the same.  It all depends on where you are going.

If some venue is trying to maintain a specific theme then they will still have rules to protect the atmosphere.  No non-humans at a roaring 20's speakeasy, for example, is no more contrary than requiring formal attire at a ballroom.   Walking around a wild west sim wearing your Boba Fett armor is obviously just harshing other people's dreams.  So of course some people do things like that for just that reason; then they get bent out of shape because they were not allowed to stay and be a jerk.

There are some popular music clubs that enforce a no furry rule; not even nekos are allowed.  One of the most famous and popular  jazz clubs is in this list.  There are other, very popular and crowded ballrooms that don't care if you are a robot or a lion or a vampire as long as you are bipedal and wear a suit.  Some places even require you to be nude! Although these spots are usually not the mainstream, but they are popular and well liked by their patrons; and those people do not want others forcing a conflicting roleplay on their area they have worked so hard to build.

For the most part, shopping areas are neutral grounds, now.  The necessity of commerce has proven greater than the need to be isolated.  So in that regard there is less animosity between the cultures.  On the other hand, you still can not roam gorean sims in your Starbucks cofffee cup avatar and expect to be welcomed.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Yes, and no and still pretty much the same.  It all depends on where you are going.

If some venue is trying to maintain a specific theme then they will still have rules to protect the atmosphere.  No non-humans at a roaring 20's speakeasy, for example, is no more contrary than requiring formal attire at a ballroom.   Walking around a wild west sim wearing your Boba Fett armor is obviously just harshing other people's dreams.  So of course some people do things like that for just that reason; then they get bent out of shape because they were not allowed to stay and be a jerk.

There are some popular music clubs that enforce a no furry rule; not even nekos are allowed.  One of the most famous and popular  jazz clubs is in this list.  There are other, very popular and crowded ballrooms that don't care if you are a robot or a lion or a vampire as long as you are bipedal and wear a suit.  Some places even require you to be nude! Although these spots are usually not the mainstream, but they are popular and well liked by their patrons; and those people do not want others forcing a conflicting roleplay on their area they have worked so hard to build.

For the most part, shopping areas are neutral grounds, now.  The necessity of commerce has proven greater than the need to be isolated.  So in that regard there is less animosity between the cultures.  On the other hand, you still can not roam gorean sims in your Starbucks cofffee cup avatar and expect to be welcomed.

Agreed. You can't be anything anywhere, but it's not a judgement issue. It's just a question of whether it makes any sense.

On the other hand, some public places that are open to everyone in theory still restrict gors or child avs. Or at least, with gors, the behavior (e.g., walking around on a leash). That'd be because some sim owners and their customers find that offensive or just distracting. And it's not like you need to be gor in a modern store, anyway, when it's intended for certain RP sims.

yeah i have seen that... my self i'm not a pet/slave/etc. but i know a good friend of mine is (she hates gorean people because of the fact she's into BDSM and wears a collar, though not leashed most othe time, she still gets crap for having a collar on even when its not doing anything its just there around her neck.) into BDSM (not gorean, there is a differnce).

i was more of thinking along the lines of shopping and just casual club places, and was kinda curious. 

I would not be surprised if the battles cased because those initiating them have been banned by now and there was luckily no new replacement for this sort of griefers coming in. And those new griefers that came in found other places and people to attack and bother (and have been banend too, but there is no short supply of such people in the world). And of course .. as already mentioned .. SL become larger and the different communities moved further apart ... or of course people have simply realised how utterly pathetic such fighting is. However the fights (at least those that reach the public eye) have stopped long time ago now and that is the best thing in all this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.