How to change avatar shape & skin that can't modify,copy & transfer with "locked" properties.

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since SL signup, I noticed I could'nt change the avatars appearance with "new" components, because the properties are

"locked" to (copy, modify & transfer) by the original owner. The Marketplace is tempting to change the avatars appearance

Can the "locked" properties be changed?

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the permission structure of Second Life.  If any item is set to no-modify, then you cannot modify it in any way. You can never change the permissions that someone else has set, except to make them even more restrictive. That's a fairly common setting, especially with scripts and animations but also with many other items.  In addition, rigged mesh clothing is inherently no-mod, since it is rigged to the bone structure of your avatar.  If you have bought a mesh avatar or are using one of the new mesh avatars that Linden Lab provides, they are also no-mod, since you are wearing them as a shell over your real avatar body.

• Like 2

Before spending any money in the Marketplace, you should know that there are lots of modifiable shapes...many of them free, and some even in your own starter inventory.

Skins, on the other hand, are almost always No Modify.  Still, there are plenty of freebie skins out there that you can get and wear.  A few skins are FULL permission, and even include Photoshop templates so you can paint on them and modify them that way, then upload them as textures and apply those textures to a new skin.  But even these skins can't be modified with the Appearance sliders!  This is because the textures used are not transparent, so any color or makeup changes you make in Appearance won't "show through."

Another thing...any of the starter avatars that have "mesh" in their name are not editable.  But before giving up on your Library avatars, try this:  Click the Avatars button, the top one on the left side of your screen.  Select an avatar from the "classic" group.  These are not mesh bodies, and they are editable with the Appearance sliders.

For lots more on how to customize your avatar, see my blog post, "What's the Best Looking Avatar?"

• Like 3

ral61 wrote:

Since SL signup, I noticed I could'nt change the avatars appearance with "new" components, because the properties are

"locked" to (copy, modify & transfer) by the original owner. The Marketplace is tempting to change the avatars appearance

Can the "locked" properties be changed?

Properties can't be changed, however you can substitute new parts for anything - for instance, you can't modify a "no mod" shape but you can wear another one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.