alickclavell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, 

I am new to SL. I don't know if this has bothered anyone else but I've noticed with almost every skin I try, it looks ENTIRELY different than the pictures the shops are showing advertising the skin, and not in a good way. The pictures look so beautiful and high quality, then I try out the skin and it looks nothing like it. Is this normal here? I feel like it's false advertisement of the product. The bodies I've found for male avatars usually look great—it's the faces that I think lack.

alickclavell wrote:

Hello all, 

I am new to SL. I don't know if this has bothered anyone else but I've noticed with almost every skin I try, it looks ENTIRELY different than the pictures the shops are showing advertising the skin, and not in a good way. The pictures look so beautiful and high quality, then I try out the skin and it looks nothing like it. Is this normal here? I feel like it's false advertisement of the product. The bodies I've found for male avatars usually look great—it's the faces that I think lack.

There are a number of reasons why you may see this.

And is also the reason you should always try demos first.

The pictures they do are under optimised lighting.

But everyones graphics vary.  And even the time of SL day can effect how a skin looks.

Also, the shape of your face/body can vary.  This can change the appearance of the skins also.

So it is not really false advertisement.  They are just putting their best foot forward.

So again, the best advise is to get a demo first.  I wouldn't buy a skin that I couldn't demo.

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 12.10.49 AM.png

Well, I have been demoing but the differences have been drastic, even without the right shapes (not sure if I had the right one or not for this one, they didn't say which one should go with it) but it looks so entirely different. When I was joining SL and seeing these avatars, I was expected something totally different.

alickclavell wrote:

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 12.10.49 AM.png

Well, I have been demoing but the differences have been drastic, even without the right shapes (not sure if I had the right one or not for this one, they didn't say which one should go with it) but it looks so entirely different. When I was joining SL and seeing these avatars, I was expected something totally different.

It would look much more similar with  eyebrows and same eye color and same hair..

Skin tone can change your entire look

Hair color and hair style can change it

And eyes can as well..

That demo looks like just the skin alone over the shape without the other things in the image...

Hair and eyes colors usually don't come with skins,those are usually sold separate..

unless you are demoing complete avatars..

Are there other items in the demo folder to wear,as well as maybe other skin options?

The product image has been "improved" by bright, even lighting. The contrast has been reduced to such an extent that the usual flaws of the avatar mesh aren't noticeable. You can see how the edges of the face almost vanish into the white background. It's a style typically used in RL photograhy of cosmetic products and treatments to give a "flawless" look. It's used in SL for the same reasons. Just as no model looks as good as s/he does in that split second a photo is taken, so no avatar looks like the skin/shape adverts.

eta: +1 to Ceka's comment: hair, brows and eyes also make an enormous difference.

Marianne Little wrote:

Is it one of TMP mesh heads you wear here? I notice that the nostrils and the nose in general look very good. Defaut SL noses has so many flaws. I was going to buy one of those heads for my alt, but I have not been able to find demos due to the terrible lag.

I think that is TMP's version of non mesh skins and shapes and things for system bodies..

has the same LM

I found them on MP and it's called  The Body co.

One of the great benefits about the shops mesh head is that it looks awesome in any kind of windlight. But if your looking to make the skin brighter, change of windlight can help.

Also I've heard a lot of people needing help with the Shops system. If you ever need help feel free to IM me inworld. 

Yeah, it's a mesh head. After working with it and getting it on the right shape it's one of the best I've seen after searching a decent amount of places. But, I may not have had them on right; TMP had it spelled out on how to do it a lot better than other places but the lag and wait is terrible. I had to turn things down a lot as far as speed and quality just to get in the world and even then it was still bad.

Yeah, it just bothers me that the images I find before demo/purchase look so rendered, I feel it sets you up for a certain expectation if you aren't familiar with the graphic quality of SL. The skin I'm working with isn't what I thought it would look like, it is a bit different looking still than the image shown, but I'm happy with it enough to purchase it and I think it looks nice still and much more high quality now, even if not what I was expecting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.