The Good Neighbor Commandments

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good Neighbor Obelisk.jpg

gn 1.JPGgn 2.JPGgn 3.JPGgn 4.JPG

Recently I attended a "Meet The Linden Moles" event in SL at their Home SIM, Meauxle Bureaux, where while wandering I encountered this obelisk.  (The linked SLURL takes you right to the Obelisk).

I found myself slightly amused and bemused as I read it.  Because while I agree in principle with the idea of being a 'good neighbor,' these Commandments don't really reflect anything LL enforces, Mainland still being the great Wild West.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I found myself slightly amused and bemused as I read it.  Because while I agree in principle with the idea of being a 'good neighbor,' these Commandments don't really reflect anything LL enforces, Mainland still being the great Wild West.

The deity Moses knew as I AM THAT I AM didn't directly enforce His Commandments either, you know...

I disagree with warnings on Security Orbs. Rather I think they should be behind barriers - walls and such - so that you can't enter that spot on accident. But then, set to no warning instant TP or eject.

I'm also not so sure anymore on build / scripts. I usually have these on - but often somebody starts sending in an object that rezzes itself... and I have to disable these for a time, sometimes a long time - if the object is being sent from a nearby parcel as well as rezzing itself on my land, and the builder of it has already been banned or is non-responsive.

- Usualy can just block that object... but I've had situations where I needed to disable scripts / build.

But auto-return... yeah... that should be flipped on for every parcel as the default when it is purchased / divided - at 5. Long enough to flip it off if needed for some reason. And anyone who has not logged into SL for more than a year - their land should have auto-return flipped on with a setting of 5.

And ALL linden owned land should likewise have auto-return. It is supposed to I believe, but in past I've found plots that lacked it - some even having build on...

Phil Deakins wrote:

Third commandment:- "WITH THY OBJECTS" ?

Those commandments were abviously written by someone who doesn't know english well enough. Therefore, they cannot have been written by God, so they need not be adhered to. The correct phrase is, 'WITH THINE OBJECTS'. God would have known that.

Did he/she/it/they/whomever miss any semi-colons?  ;)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Those commandments were abviously written by someone who doesn't know english well enough. Therefore, they cannot have been written by God, so they need not be adhered to. The correct phrase is, 'WITH THINE OBJECTS'. God would have known that.

Nah

All it shows is the God used to play hookie during his English lessons in favour of a crafty ciggie behind the celestial bike sheds.

Personally, I blame Zeus for leading God astray, despite the Great Spirit's best attempts to ensure otherwise.

Phil Deakins wrote:

"God" apparantly had a similar sense of grammar when he wrote the Book of Mormon, in the 1800s, in rendition of King Jame's English, though... :P

So there's um... precident here... or something.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Did he/she/it/they/whomever miss any semi-colons? 
;)

I didn't look that closely :)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

"God" apparantly had a similar sense of grammar when he wrote the Book of Mormon, in the 1800s, in rendition of King Jame's English, though...
:P

So there's um... precident here... or something.

Not really. The book of mormon was written by an author and pinched by Joseph Smith. We can't even blame Joseph Smith for any bad english in it :) That's according to the guy who claimed it was a copy of a book her wrote.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.