Took off my avatar, now i can't find it.

emeraldview

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am assisting a newer player with modding her first avatar. In the process I asked her to remove all attachments so we could create a blank slate outfit that she could easily use to create new outfits. In the process she somehow removed her skin and shape (still have no idea how she pulled that off). The effect of this is that she looks as if she is wearing a full body alpha layer. Completely invisible, not ruthed or unrezzed. I instructed her to re wear her avatar but she can't find it in her inventory. Where is the default avatar stored in the inventory folders so i can help her find her avatar?

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I figured, i guess she is having trouble navigating her folders.

3 answers to this question

There are four body parts that you can never remove: skin, shape, bald cap, and eyes.  All you can do is replace them with other versions of the same things.  If any of them seems to be missing, there are only a couple of explanations: (1) You are wearing an alpha layer that masks them or (2) you -- or the servers-- have a serious problem rendering objects.  I wouldn't discount either possibility, but #1 is more likely.

It sounds as if your friend was wearing one of the new mesh avatars. Those are a little tricky.  They are essentially "worn" over your standard avatar, with a full body alpha layer between them so that the standard av doesn't poke through.  If you take off the mesh av but don't remove the alpha layer, you'll be invisible. Your real skin, shape, bald cap, and eyes are still inside that alpha layer.  So, the trick is not to remove the av by itself but to switch outfits.  Drag an entire outfit folder from inventory (either from your "Outfits" folder or from your Library >>> Clothing folder ) and drop it on your av.  That should replace everything that you are currently wearing with whatever is in the new outfit.

If your friend wants to wear the mesh av again, and if it's one of the Linden Lab creations, she'll find it in her Library >>> Clothing folder somewhere.

• Like 1

She's still wearing the alpha mask for the mesh avatar...or at least, you are still seeing it on your screen.  I've had situations where the alpha layer persisted in being visible...er, invisible...well, you know what I mean!  until the avatar re-logged.

You can't take off skin, shape, hair base, or eyes...the system won't allow it.

Oh...and the default av is in Library/Clothing/Girl Next Door.  Or Ruth, if you want an even older default av.  Forcing a default av is also available through the Advanced menu, or sometimes through other menus, depending on what viewer you're using.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.