Does LL actually respond to Abuse reports from non-premium members?

Eric0901 Wolfhunter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've had some nasty run ins with various (and often the same) griefers on alt accounts. I've notified LL via Abuse reports, with nearly NO reconition at any point. Howver I have noticed they  respond to my friends who are premium members with a near instant speed.
Do they not care about the rest of us? Do they even Respond to the abuse reports of non-premium members? some of us have just as much, if not more money tied up in SL. We maintain homes, businesses on marketplace and at various locations, as well as rent and maintain sims of ALL sizes. 
Why would Linden Labs have a seemingly obvious "go screw yourselves" policy towards their non-premium members?!
Is there anything that can be done to get them off the pot?If not, are there any potentiual, positive soltuons that dont involve leaving SL or notifying their shareholders, or BBB?

5 answers to this question

I think many people with premium accounts will be surprised to learn that LL respond to ARs from your " friends who are premium members with a near instant speed."   Why don't the rest of us with premium accounts get this sort of treatment?  

Seriously, as far as I know (and I write as someone involved in the management of a large group of sims, which contain some targets that griefers find attractive), LL deal with ARs according to how urgent they seem to be.    They'll move very fast on complaints about people impersonating Lindens, or wrongfully claiming affiliation with LL.    They move very fast when griefers are crashing sims, too.   For other complaints -- and the complainant is never told the resolution, remember -- they move less rapidly, because investigating and resolving the complaint isn't so time-sensitive.   Furthermore, at least as I understand it, whatever action LL takes frequently depends on what sort of record -- if any -- the culprit has.   

You ask about positive solutions.    It depends what the incident is, of course, but if the griefing takes place on your own land, you almost certainly have the tools to deal with it, and with the griefers, at your disposal in the land tools -- banning people, only allowing group members to rez objects and run scripts, and so on.   Certainly, in my experience, you can deal with most things simply by rezzing a box and sitting on it, turning off particles, if necessary going into wireframe while you return any viewer crashers, disabling rez and scripts and so on, and calmly returning the offending objects.

Mute and ban greifers, obviously, and don't try to argue with them.   Just ignore them, ban them, clear up the mess and AR them.

If it's not on your land, then AR them, complain to the land owner, and go somewhere else.    There's plenty of SL to explore and enjoy, after all.

• Like 1

Assuming it's true that priority is given to Premium Members, and IMO I see no reason why that isn't the case since they are paying for the privilege after all, then it seems reasonable for anyone who might have genuine (ie; not role play) investment in Second Life to become a Premium Member in order to benefit from any privileges (if any) that go with that.

As far as Abuse Reporting is concerned, there is no difference between Premium and Basic members. You will never get anything more than a quick, automated aknowlegement when you submit an AR, no matter who you are.  Linden Lab will not tell you the outcome of their investigation or what penaltiy they have applied, if any.  If you submit an AR and do not get the automated acknowlegement, check your e-mail's spam filter.

Linden Lab receives a large number of AR's.  Many are unintelligible, lack details that can be verified, or are rambling inconsistencies.  Many are submitted by griefers, to get other people in trouble.  Many are interpersonal disagreements that do not involve a TOS violation.  Linden Lab has to sort through all of those to reach the ones that are actionable, and then prioritize those on the basis of their urgency and severity.  In the end, Linden Lab is solely responsible for deciding how to deal with the reports they receive, since valid Abuse Reports are all about violations of the TOS -- a company policy.

• Like 2

Eric,

Having been a Premium Member and Land owner for most of my time in SecondLife, I have to say that the training I received from an experienced friend has allowed me to deal with griefers on my own successfully 95% of the time. As for Linden Lab response, it seems that the critical events get triages quickly and the lesser issues are then handled accordingly.

I teach all my tenants to never allow open object rezzing and if they need to as merchants wanting to provide a "Dressing" area then I advise them to make sure it has the auto-return values set to 10 minutes or less.

I still report all griefing attacks but I'm no longer afraid of them or the people behind them, That 95% figure belays the fact that on 2 occasions I needed to get Linden Lab involved because I could not successfully log onto my affected region to clean up the mess being done by a griefing scripted object and needed them to perform a forced restart with a "Scripts Off"  region status so I could do the clean up.

I have never expected LL to clean up one of my regions of the griefer flotsam. That is a job I prefer to do so I can learn about the attack method.

I also teach my tenants [Most are not Premium Members] how to submit a proper A.R. when having an issue with a griefer or an ex friend or ex partner or whatever. As for LL responses to the issues that my tenants submit, I have found that they get handled reasonably quickly when filled with details.

I usually follow up by adding the names of griefers that selected one of my tenants to annoy to my Estate ban list. I also avoid places where griefers seem to accumulate, Public Sand Boxes, Well known open rezzing locations and the like.

Eric, I have the vision that being in SL for 7+ years gives you. Griefers come and go. Thank goodness it's mostly GO.

Be vigilante and this soon will pass.

• Like 2

As KarenMichelle and Innula rather gently implied, the reason you're not getting a fast response is not your class of membership, it's the stuff you're reporting.  Or possibly, the WAY in which you are reporting it.

If someone talks mean to you, or teases you, the solution isn't to run crying to LL.  The solution is to Mute them.

If someone is spewing particles all over the place, the solution is to turn off particles with CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+=

If someone is rezzing ugly things or hundreds of physical cubes that are bumping into you, or shooting you with a gun, the solution is to ban them from your land, or turn off object creation.  If you don't own the land, then go somewhere else, or sit on an object to become impervious to bumping.

Above all, the thing griefers hate the most is being IGNORED.  So...ignore them.

If they are violating the Terms of Service or Community Standards, then Abuse Report them, sure.  But don't expect Big Mom to come running and intervene.  In Second Life, it's assumed you're a Big Boy and can take care of yourself.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.