Can we make an object move through the land , so can act as a guide for avatar

dawnalphonse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Yes, you can script objects to follow a path with basic LSL commands.  That's perhaps the easiest method, although not for a novice scripter.  You can also use LSL commands for Pathfinding to create objects that move in directed ways.  A third method would be to script a bot -- an avatar that is under the control of a program on your computer -- to act as a greeter or guide.  There are many variations on these methods. 

I suggest that your object be a "tour bus" rather than a "guide,"  This makes it easier for an avatar, they can simply sit and watch the scenery rather than have to concentrate on folloiwng something at the same time.  You can experience several variations of this concept at Da Vinci Gardens or in Caledon.

Hi Dawn,

More than ten years ago, Hank Ramos published the scripts for a Touring Balloon in the SL Wiki. If flying in a balloon makes you dizzy, just wait till you dive into the scripts! I think the balloon is pretty close in function to what you want.

I imagine there are similar products available in the Marketplace if you don't feel like tackling this challenge. But if you do tackle it, you know where to find us. I've got hypoallergenic glue to re-attach the hair you'll pull out, and the rest of the Answers denizens probably have actual answers.

Good luck!

A touring balloon does exactly what any hot air balloon in RL does ..... it floats along over the landscape. In SL, a touring balloon is scripted to follow a specific path instead of wandering loose, so you get the same tour each time, and it can "hover" centimeters above the ground if you like. Visit the Bay City sims in SL and ride the trolley. It's a touring balloon. (They also have an actual balloon too.)

If you want something that is entirely avatar guided (no preset tour), visit the Reference Area of the Community Virtual Library on Imagination Island. Take a copy of the Tour Cushion that you'll find there (it's free).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.