Colour me dumb or something

Becca Vichan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have just been shopping in the new "improved" Marketplace. 

OK, so I log in and get there and type into "Search" for an item and 47 pages of choices come up.  Pages 1-7 provide me with nothing that I am looking for, but page 8 contains an item of interest worth looking at in more detail, so I click on the item.  Lo and behold, the page comes up, with interesting details, but I decide to look further before I make a purchase.  I'll just go back to where I was in page 8 and continue on with my looking.

Riiiighhhttt!!!  I cannot find a way to do so.  I see nothing that says "Return to Shopping" or anything resembling a page back item.  As a last resort I have to sign out and start all over again, laboriously clicking through each of the previous pages before reaching page 8 and continuing on.

Surely I must be missing something.  Even the ding dongs that designed the new Marketplace cannot be dumb enough to make it so I have to sign out and start all over again.  Or can they be?  Please tell me they have not done so.  Please tell me instead how dumb I am not to find the right button to return to my shopping spree.  It will not be the first time that I have missed the obvious, or have failed to "just know" what I am supposed to know. I know I have this strange impression that computers and computer programs are supposed to serve me rather than that I am supposed to serve it somehow.

But right now I will just settle for a simple way to return to my shopping?

Anyone?

9 answers to this question

Hi Becca,

As the others said about your browser's back button.

However, how I shop in Marketplace and before in Xstreet is to open new tabs for items I find on the main pages, i.e. right click on the item and select Open in New Tab. When finished close that tab and you're back on your main page tab without having to reload any pages with back buttons.

Nyll

• Like 1

Well, I can't resist this for an opening this morning:  A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum!

First, to those who helpfully suggested I use the "Back" button on my browser, I really am not that dumb, ha ha.  However, mysteriously the back button for my browser (Safari) stealthily had disappeared from my browser tool bar.  How or why this happened will remain forever unexplained.  I only realized what had happened after seeing your responses, hence my inclusion of "Helpful" in your suggestions.  I have now reinstalled it.

Second, to UncleBob and Nyll, you seem to have realized the point of my post, namely that the new Marketplace fails to include one of the easiest ways to encourage people to do more shopping by offering helpful buttons strategically placed within the pages themselves that say things like "Return to Shopping" or or other encouraging features.  Using the Back button (when it is in your toolbar) of course is typical of the immediate gratification fixes for any dilemma that faces dedicated computer types, but it does not help to bring about improvement.  I would say the "new" Marketplace is about as clumsy a website as one would have experienced maybe 10 - 15 years ago when online shopping first began to come into its own. I find this same clumsiness when using the Dashboard, where navigating to where you want to be is an experience equal to riding with Diversion Airlines.  Well, who am I to expect anything up-to-date from LL? except for their concept of Second Life (not their execution of the concept.)

So, thanks to those who paid attention to my somewhat peculiar post.  At least it hasn't been removed by the moderators.  I think.

Becca

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Hi Becca,

As the others said about your browser's back button.

However, how I shop in Marketplace and before in Xstreet is to open new tabs for items I find on the main pages, i.e. right click on the item and select Open in New Tab. When finished close that tab and you're back on your main page tab without having to reload any pages with back buttons.

Nyll

Actually yes - this is an excellent piece of advice and the way I tend to shop on the marketplace too! You can scroll away through search results, right-clicking the ones you like the look of and choose 'open in new tab'. It's quite a neat way to compare items too (open a few in separate tabs and you can quickly flick through the tabs to compare similar items!)

Thank you Tristan for duly recognizing the real point of my post, which was that the new Marketplace functions in a less than ideal way, and this after all the months of planning and preparation by LL.

As major developments go, the new Marketplace comes on top of the botched introduction of Viewer 2.  One is left to wonder if anyone actually tries out these new programs before foisting them upon us, then sitting back and hearing, if not listening to, all the screaming.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.