Sign in to follow this  
Becca Vichan

Colour me dumb or something

Question

"But right now I will just settle for a simple way to return to my shopping?"

Shop inworld, I only have to login once.

Past that barring any workaround for the new and improved Marketplace, that's all I got.

9 answers to this question

"But right now I will just settle for a simple way to return to my shopping?"

Shop inworld, I only have to login once.

Past that barring any workaround for the new and improved Marketplace, that's all I got.

Hi Becca,

As the others said about your browser's back button.

However, how I shop in Marketplace and before in Xstreet is to open new tabs for items I find on the main pages, i.e. right click on the item and select Open in New Tab. When finished close that tab and you're back on your main page tab without having to reload any pages with back buttons.

Nyll

• Like 1

Well, I can't resist this for an opening this morning:  A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum!

First, to those who helpfully suggested I use the "Back" button on my browser, I really am not that dumb, ha ha.  However, mysteriously the back button for my browser (Safari) stealthily had disappeared from my browser tool bar.  How or why this happened will remain forever unexplained.  I only realized what had happened after seeing your responses, hence my inclusion of "Helpful" in your suggestions.  I have now reinstalled it.

Second, to UncleBob and Nyll, you seem to have realized the point of my post, namely that the new Marketplace fails to include one of the easiest ways to encourage people to do more shopping by offering helpful buttons strategically placed within the pages themselves that say things like "Return to Shopping" or or other encouraging features.  Using the Back button (when it is in your toolbar) of course is typical of the immediate gratification fixes for any dilemma that faces dedicated computer types, but it does not help to bring about improvement.  I would say the "new" Marketplace is about as clumsy a website as one would have experienced maybe 10 - 15 years ago when online shopping first began to come into its own. I find this same clumsiness when using the Dashboard, where navigating to where you want to be is an experience equal to riding with Diversion Airlines.  Well, who am I to expect anything up-to-date from LL? except for their concept of Second Life (not their execution of the concept.)

So, thanks to those who paid attention to my somewhat peculiar post.  At least it hasn't been removed by the moderators.  I think.

Becca

Good point actually. There is a "continue shopping" link when you add something to your cart, but it doesn't appear when you are simply looking at the product page. Might be nice to have in case you have a "wardrobe malfunction" with your web browser as you did.

Cheers!

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Hi Becca,

As the others said about your browser's back button.

However, how I shop in Marketplace and before in Xstreet is to open new tabs for items I find on the main pages, i.e. right click on the item and select Open in New Tab. When finished close that tab and you're back on your main page tab without having to reload any pages with back buttons.

Nyll

Actually yes - this is an excellent piece of advice and the way I tend to shop on the marketplace too! You can scroll away through search results, right-clicking the ones you like the look of and choose 'open in new tab'. It's quite a neat way to compare items too (open a few in separate tabs and you can quickly flick through the tabs to compare similar items!)

Thank you Tristan for duly recognizing the real point of my post, which was that the new Marketplace functions in a less than ideal way, and this after all the months of planning and preparation by LL.

As major developments go, the new Marketplace comes on top of the botched introduction of Viewer 2.  One is left to wonder if anyone actually tries out these new programs before foisting them upon us, then sitting back and hearing, if not listening to, all the screaming.