Ok I have a little problem adn its pissing me off. (groups taking my lindon without asking or letting me know)

ThornWolf Wickentower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

ok see i have been offline for about 6 months now and I just logged on today and noticed omg! i have negative 9 lindon!. to put it simple i have lindon before i left and now all fo a sudden i am in negative range and I don't knwo what to do about it because it was taken without my consent. the groups were free when i joined them...

Can anyone give me any advice or tell me what i need to do? I have already deleted all but groups i know wont take lindon form me because I have owner spots in them. This is really frustrating for me so I appoligize if I sound like a horrible witch or something lol

8 answers to this question

ThornWolf Wickentower wrote:

ok see i have been offline for about 6 months now and I just logged on today and noticed omg! i have negative 9 lindon!. to put it simple i have lindon before i left and now all fo a sudden i am in negative range and I don't knwo what to do about it because it was taken without my consent. the groups were free when i joined them...

Can anyone give me any advice or tell me what i need to do? I have already deleted all but groups i know wont take lindon form me because I have owner spots in them. This is really frustrating for me so I appoligize if I sound like a horrible witch or something lol

What you need to do is pay attention to the groups you join and the abilities that they assign.  When you see one where you have the group ability to Pay group liabilities and receive group dividends, then you should either leave the group or if its really a group you want, contact the group owner about removing that ability.

Edited to add.  BTW just in case you don't know, the 1 or 2 linden charge usually comes from when the group owns land and then sets the land to be showed in search.  This costs 30 linden per week and is taken every Tuesday.  If the group is spreading that cost out to the whole group, you will see those 1-2 linden charges usually every week.  You need to pay attention to your Transaction History a little more closely as well.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Cinnamon.Lohner wrote:

You need to pay attention to your Transaction History a little more closely as well.

This.  I have little sympathy for someone that is being charged over and over and doesn't realize it.  You are responsible for you own SL and that includes the groups that you voluntarily join.

BTW - Just because you are an owner in a group does not mean you may not incur charges.  The owners "always" have the 'pay liabilities' ability and if the group is set to Search, then you will get charged.

In this person's defense the default setting for groups is to have all members paying liabilities and receiving dividends. If you ask me this is fairly stupid since most people don't bother to read or understand how groups work beforehand. So you get people like Thornwolf who get charged and don't notice until weeks or months later or assume it's some sinister plot. Usually its just that the person who made the group doesn't know any better any more than the members who are getting charged do. Granted it's still no excuse really... but I've seen it happen to a lot of otherwise intelligent people.

LittleMe.Jewell wrote:

I have little sympathy for someone that is being charged over and over and doesn't realize it.

I have sympathy for them: It's really less than obvious, especially for people new to SL, what implications joining a group might have. Also, the abilities of the roles you are member of can be changed without you ever being noticed. So unless you check all your group roles and their abilities before every Tuesday, the first time you'd notice would be when money has already been taken from your account. No big amounts, sure, but that is still a quite strange "user experience".

Thus I've filed the feature request SVC-4604 (Make the group ability "Pay group liabilities and receive group dividends" strictly opt-in). Those who think this is important should give that issue a vote. If this is too radical for you, maybe you'd consider VWR-10467 worth supporting (possibility to opt-out of the pay liability and receive dividends ability without having to leave the group).

Also, to avoid honest mistakes by group founders/owners/managers, the ability should probably default to off for the Everyone role in newly founded groups. If you agree, please vote for SVC-378.

Exactly I find it ridiculous that it is Automatically checked for group liabilities, and I have seen even experienced SL users create a group and not check all the rights and permissions close enough.

So I personally think it is the creator or owner of the groups fault and have voiced it many times only to have other group members flair up about it being only 1 or 2L. Sure one group 1L - we can have 25 groups and if all group owners are nonce's that is 25L a week 100L a month and if you have left SL for an extended period of time 1200L a year or more. So it can add up, it does and if I join a group and then have money removed I IM the owner about it (nine times out of ten they didnt know it was doing that) and they stop the auto deductions, those that refuse or harp on about it - I remove. Groups arent that important to me - I can make my own tag if I want to.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys. But for those who say I was stupid or not paying attention or that i think it was a sinster plot, I was gone from sl for 6 MONTHS! I had no internet and no way to get to a computer and therefore  no way to check on that so please do read a little more closely into  questions! I was not being stupid or anything of the sort. I joined free groups and no groups I looked at had it to where you don't pay liablilites, so I just didn't join  any groups to took lindons and was under the impression they would not  start.

Again thanks for taking the time to anwser my problem wether helpful or not lol. And especially thank you to the people who were supportive and actually adressed my problem thinking that I do have a brain that works just fine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.