Textures Loading Slow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello All,

I have just bought a new laptop (specs below) that is worlds away from the machine I had before and with which I assumed my SL Experience would improve markedly. In some was it has, in that I am now able to have the graphics amped up to max, with shadows, occlusion, etc. and be able to move around normally, but there is one nagging problem that I am sure is due to something that I have poorly configured. Texures are loading really slow, specifically the signs in stores. So I can have practially a whole sim rezzed around me, with all manner of shadows and the like, yet themultiple signs that show what is for sale are blurred at the best and can take ages, and I mean ages to come into focus. This as you can imagine makes shopping a chore :-(

Any suggestions of what I might do to fix?

Wanda

Viewer: Singularity Viewer (64 bit) 1.8.6 (6156)

LapTop

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    LENOVO GJET77WW (2.27 ), 20/05/2014
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    11.7 GB
Available Physical Memory    6.96 GB
Total Virtual Memory    23.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory    18.5 GB
Page File Space    11.7 GB

Graphics

Name    NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
Adapter Type    GeForce GT 730M, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers    nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version    9.18.13.1269

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Also be sure that your LOD is at at least 3. Chances are a lot of those signs are mesh since som many are using mesh when prims will work just a well, just not the new shiny.

LOD has nothing to do with texture loading, it has to do with 3D vertexes. Turning up the LOD may even slow down texture loading and it will definately burn up video/system memory.

To the OP - Your laptop is pretty good for a laptop but it isn't really spectacular and it sounds like you're running it at settings higher than it really should run at for good performance. What's your draw distance set at?

Ren - Yep have Singularity set at the highest

Theresa - Realize that it is not a gaming laptop, but it is worlds better that the brick I had before. DD is set at 128m. If you were to see it from my desktop what you would see is all the mesh buildings, regular buildings, furniture, etc, with all their textures in .. and in a store a bunch of square or rectangular spaces (the sales signs)  that are either grey, or more normally blurred .. that stay that way for ever.

(Sorry for the menu references here; I suspect your Singularity may not use the same menu titles as the Linden beta viewers I use, in which case somebody will need to translate.)

I'd suggest turning on Develop / Consoles / Texture Console (Ctrl+Shift+3) to see if we can figure out what's going on.

If there are just a huge number of textures in queue to load, then you're probably behind a slow network. You can try tweaking Me / Preferences / Setup / Maximum bandwidth (where 500 kbps is a reasonable starting point), but if the problem really is slow download, you'll almost certainly end up reducing your drawing depth even further below 128m. (You can also try toggling Develop / HTTP Textures, too; if turning that off improves things, you have a very naughty ISP.)

On the other hand, You may find that the console shows all texture loading to complete and yet textures are still fuzzy or missing. I rather suspect this is your situation because all the mesh geometry has already loaded and still the textures aren't loading. If that's the situation, try clearing cache. There's a doctrinaire mythology about texture cache that currently crusades against the sin of clearing cache, but sometimes it's just necessary. You don't have to confess that you did it; it can just be our little secret.

There`s also a texture/mesh test on aditi (second life beta grid) at the moment. One region uses uses conventional download another region uses the new CDN download. Could be a good way of testing how your puter copes with that.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

According to comments in this weeks TPV meeting CDN is being deployed on a small scale on the main grid this week (YAAAAAY)

Wandering Soulstar wrote:

If you're saying that you have your bandwidth set as high as it will go, then, that is likely to be your biggest problem.  You should never have it set for anything over 1500.

Check this page for instructions on how to figure out how it should be set... link.  It's a Firestorm Wiki page, but the information applies to any and all viewers.

...Dres

Theresa - Realize that it is not a gaming laptop, but it is worlds better that the brick I had before. DD is set at 128m. If you were to see it from my desktop what you would see is all the mesh buildings, regular buildings, furniture, etc, with all their textures in .. and in a store a bunch of square or rectangular spaces (the sales signs)  that are either grey, or more normally blurred .. that stay that way for ever.

There was a bug in the LL viewer a few months ago that would cause this problem. It came into being about the time some changes were made to the inventory system on the servers. It has been fixed in the LL viewer for some time but its possible that the Singularity update uses the older problem code. See if other people on Singularity have similar problems.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6382

Dresden (or anyone) .. why the limit of 1500kbps, when I can set it as high as 10,000 in Singularity .. and when I test the speeds that I am getting based on the lins you indicated I have a download speed of 35-40
m
bps?

If your looking for a technical answer, I'm afraid I'm not the one that can give it to you... perhaps someone will come along that can.  All I know, is what I've been told and, because bandwidth settings function the same in every viewer, there's no reason to conclude that it makes a difference that you're using Singularity and not Firestorm.

...Dres

Dresden (or anyone) .. why the limit of 1500kbps, when I can set it as high as 10,000 in Singularity .. and when I test the speeds that I am getting based on the lins you indicated I have a download speed of 35-40
m
bps?

A non technical explanation here:

http://edmerrymansrants.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/sane-settings-for-sl/

More info these two links.  Scroll down to "bandwidth"

http://blog.nalates.net/2014/07/31/second-life-news-2014-31-2/

and UDP Throttling

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/07/01/sl-viewer-problems/

"The "Statistics Bar" shows packet loss as a percentage. If it anything above 0% on a steady basis, go to top menu Edit > Preferences > Network > Maximum Bandwidth and try lowering the value to reduce packet loss. On the other hand, if you have a fast connection and can handle it, you can increase the bandwidth to download data faster."

Quoted from;

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lag        Internet connection.

As bandwidth only affects udp data AND with the considerable tweaking of http in viewer code over the last 9 months I personally haven`t seen any noticeable difference with having bw at 1500 or 10000, not that I`m saying max it. Interestingly, for the texture/mesh test on aditi (linked in previous post) the Lindens recomend setting bw to 10000.

Has also been mentioned by a Linden that udp is being phased out so maybe we`ll all be able to forget about bw then :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.