Sign in to follow this  
KateHershey

Second Life Modeling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The sad advice is that this falls into the large category of "disputes between residents" and according to the TOS (Sect 6), "You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users. "  In other words, unless the other party has violated the TOS, Linden Lab will almost never get involved.  You may submit an Abuse Report, of course, but I can almost guarantee that will be the answer.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

The sad advice is that this falls into the large category of "disputes between residents" and according to the TOS (Sect 6), "You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users. "  In other words, unless the other party has violated the TOS, Linden Lab will almost never get involved.  You may submit an Abuse Report, of course, but I can almost guarantee that will be the answer.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you had two bad experiences.  But as Rolig says, you really have no recourse.

The whole idea of a "modeling school" is sort of silly anyway, IMO.  Anyone can teach themselves to assemble Outfits and change them with a single mouse click.  Anyone can learn to walk their avatar in a straight line, or (as many runways do) to use a poseball-and-menu system.

Most SL "models" are actually the creator, or her alt.  It's cheaper than paying someone else to wear the clothes and pose for the pictures.  Those who actually do modeling work generally get paid in free clothes, not money.  And the whole modeling scene is rife with drama, backbiting and petty feuds.

It's not something I would pay to get into, especially since (as you found) you don't always GET into it, even after paying.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help. And YES I found that out about the drama. They also wanted to change my face (to look more ASIAN - which I think is racist). They also gave me a shape that made my look like Olive Oyl. I wanted to learn about it. and boy did I!

And 3500L is CHEAP.  One school wanted 25,000L, the average is 7,000L.

Also, you must be CERTIFIED to get a modling job (I know right).  And to be certified you must go to a school. 

There is really NO PAY except for pay in clothing that you model. 

Everybody please take note so you are not taken in by this scam called modeling.  It is a huge industry in SL and if you really love fashion try it, but wow I hated it.

p.s. I got a notecard from him today saying I failed because of my attitude, and how I did not ask for help, and that I should have known how to style. Oh darn. I'm so sad.  Not.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your help. I had a feeling I had not recourse, but I'm glad I asked to remind others of this. Plus, there are not too many (IF ANY) forum posts on modeling, so I hope this helps somebody else. The forums were the first place I looked before I even signed up for the class.

p.s. I got a notecard from him today saying I failed because of my attitude, and how I did not ask for help, and that I should have known how to style. Oh darn. I'm so sad I failed. NOT. I'm glad to be done. Thanks again.

I will add something from my own experience! I was a model in 3 modeling agencies and NEVER paid any classes! They wanted me modelling for them and teached me all I needed to know. You did fall for it. There is no official paper for anything in SL for SL related things. All I did was buying a bunch of poses and animations I needed to do a proper catwalk. As a kid avatar they also didn't ask you to buy different skins, because there are not too many (real good) ones to choose from. Which is different for adults, where you will need more than one skin sooner or later. And tons of walks and poses.

Thank you Sven. Yep, I fell for it. I'm so mad at myself! Let's hope your post helps others too. Even though I failed because of my attitude at the end when I realized this class and instructor were NOT what they should have been and I questioned it.

firstly, stop paying for classes. you dont need to. anyone can model if they get the right person to help them start. deep breathes, yeah you really cant do anything about it, just dont fall for anyone selling modeling classes anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.