Skill gaming

Ziggi Zarf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ziggi Zarf wrote:

Bless your heart!!!

mmhmm, I want to go around shooting people but my government is a bit anti-gun, instead they allow me to participate in gambling and not only that, I have to watch television adverts on mainstream channels, advertising online gaming.

Now THAT is what I call unfair!

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Who ever told you life was fair had it wrong.  It's not.   To change this start with your state's legislature.

Except that's exactly how it is fair. If the OP saved-up from not gambling, that could make a good campaign contribution towards throwing the bastards out of the statehouse.

After all, the ten "forbidden" states are democracies.

Well, okay, there's Louisana. Nine out of ten, then.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Who ever told you life was fair had it wrong.  It's not.   To change this start with your state's legislature.

Except that's exactly how it
is
fair. If the OP saved-up from not gambling, that could make a good campaign contribution towards throwing the bastards out of the statehouse.

After all, the 
 are democracies.

Well, okay, there's Louisana. Nine out of ten, then.

Did you intend to say that the ten states are Democratic, if so, most of them are Republican. But what does that have to do with it?

No, I'm not talking about specific political parties, but rather the fact that state legislatures in the US are subject to popular election.

(Even Louisiana is nominally a democracy, although that state has long had a notoriously creative way of transforming "votes cast" to "votes recorded.")

And democracy is a form of government where the majority gets the government it deserves. Hence, in that way, "fair."

• 2 weeks later...

Not fair at all. I live in SC, a lottery state, which in itself is gambling. Skill gaming is nothing more than a virtual board game, and last time I looked board games were not illegal to play. This new policy is so much BS its not even funny. I have been in SL since about a year after it first started and have spent who knows how many thousands of dollars on content alone not to mention feeding LLs pockets who knows how much along the way, and this is how Im repaid for my dedication. Unable to enjoy what SL offers because they keep cutting their own throats and removing or banning a lot of what brought me to SL in the first place. SL was advertised as our world, our way, totally player created and now it is nothing more than LL political greed and BS. Petitions and suits should be filed to demand changes and receive damages for LLs lies and violations against its own players. And they should be required to change the name from Second Life to something more appropriate like Dream Life, because it certainly is nothing like a 2nd life anymore, and it has lost its fun factor completely.

LL just didn't make up this policy one day for no reason.  Like it or not they have to follow the law.

I looked up the laws for some of the states out of curiosity as people were saying they could play the lottery and other forms of gaming in their state and didn't understand why they couldn't game in SL.  Turns out that  those states allow certain types of gaming in their state in RL, however their laws make it illegal to game on the internet. 

It makes no sense for LL to restrict gaming in the states that are restricted just to be mean to you.  Either there is something in your states laws that prohibit it or perhaps your state puts more liability on LL than they care to accept.

In any case you are free to file a law suit against them, but chances are you are going to lose.  It would be far more effective to contact your state representatives and try to get the law changed. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.