Why does the profile box still shows after you Delete the account. Even if it doesn't show in search

Guku Aabye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I cancel an alt of mine. The account. But someone has the calling card said it still shows the name and the date when the account was created. I was wondering why does that still show?  Its like if someone passes away why do they keep their account also? Even though the account will never be used. Why is it still there?

Will Linden Labs change this?

Please let me know.

11 answers to this question

It may take time.  I just checked in my own inventory by clicking on the calling card for a good friend who died many years ago.  I keep the card for sentimental reasons, but I know her account was closed after she died.  The card no longer opens a profile now, but I seem to remember that it did for a while. Thank you for reminding me to look.

Incidentally, most SL accounts don't get closed when a person dies unless a close relative or friend uses the login info to close them.  (That's against the TOS, but who is Linden Lab going to punish?)

EDIT:  Strangely, the card for another friend who died in 2009 is no longer in my inventory, although I can't imagine having deleted it.  I cannot explain all the mysteries of SL.

• Like 3

Rolig Loon

I'm really sorry to hear about your lost.

TY so much for letting me know about that it will go away one day

Not sure when

I don't understand why LL's keeps accounts on their database if someone cancel there accounts and you can't find them in search but if someone has the calling card and sees it. It still shows an empty profile if you cancel it. Will it go away after so many years?

Rolig Loon

No I don't want to ever bring the my alt back. I hope it goes away when someone looks at the calling card and it wont show anything there when they look at the calling card profile

I hope LL's changes this that once you cancel an account the entire profile is gone and when someone looks at the calling card nothing is there. It be like the account was never created. I hope they do this soon. Unless they have it set up where they don't want to get rid of any avatars at all.

Never. It is not up to you. Because, as several people have explained to you by now, anything that you av may have ever created -- object, notecard, gesture, script, ... ANYTHING -- is associated with your avatar's UUID in the inventory database. Deleting your avatar will mess up the inventory for anyone else who may have those assets. If LL ever deletes an avatar, it is a LONG time after references to it cease to be useful. Besides ..... WHY DO YOU CARE???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.