how do i view a missed IM was from some one not on friendlist

Splatulated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you know how to access your chat logs? If you have chat logs saved to your computer, you should be able to find them using this guide:

Logging chat and instant messages

Have you ever wanted to go back and re-read an old conversation, or post a meeting transcript to a wiki or web page? By default, the Second Life Viewer keeps all text chat in a file called the chat log file. You can change how and where the Viewer saves chat logs in thePrivacy tab of the PREFERENCES window: choose Me > Preferences or press Ctrl-P. Click the window's help button for more details.

Chat and IM logs

If you have chat or IM logging enabled, Second Life will automatically save your conversations to your hard drive. By default, the Viewer saves chat logs to a standard location on your hard drive that depends on your operating system. For example, where username is your system user name and Avatarname is your Second Life account or display name

• Windows XPC:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\SecondLife\Avatarname\chat.txt
  • Windows 7 and VistaC:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\chat.txt
  • Mac OSXUsers/Username/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/Avatarname/chat.txt
32px-KBcaution.png Important: You may need to enable your file browser's ability to view hidden files in order to access your chat logs at their default location. Be very careful when accessing hidden system files; they are usually hidden so you can't change or delete them by accident! If you need to access your chat logs often, use the instructions below to relocate them to a more accessible folder.

To change or view the chat log file location:

1. Choose Me > Preferences on the menu bar.
  2. Choose the Privacy tab.
  3. The Location of logs field shows the path to the chat log file. Click Browse to change the location.

If you don't have them saved, I think you're SOL, sadly. Also, you either need to know the name of the person who sent the message to you, or be willing to go through every chat log to find it. 

You can also go to your preferences, in the...Privacy tab, I think? Maybe Chat. Hunt around. You should see a box with something like C:/ and some information. That will show you where your logs are stored, and you should be able to go to them straight from there.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Do you know how to access your chat logs? If you have chat logs saved to your computer, you should be able to find them using this guide:

Logging chat and instant messages

Have you ever wanted to go back and re-read an old conversation, or post a meeting transcript to a wiki or web page? By default, the Second Life Viewer keeps all text chat in a file called the 
chat log
 file. You can change how and where the Viewer saves chat logs in the
Privacy
 tab of the PREFERENCES window: choose 
Me > Preferences
 or press 
Ctrl-P
. Click the window's help button for more details.

Chat and IM logs

If you have chat or IM logging enabled, Second Life will automatically save your conversations to your hard drive. By default, the Viewer saves chat logs to a standard location on your hard drive that depends on your operating system. For example, where username is your system user name and 
is your Second Life account or display name
  • Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\
    Username
    \Application Data\SecondLife\
    \chat.txt
  • Windows 7 and Vista
    C:\Users\
    Username
    \AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\chat.txt
  • Mac OSX
    Users/
    Username
    /Library/Application Support/SecondLife/
    /chat.txt
32px-KBcaution.png
Important:
 You may need to enable your file browser's ability to view hidden files in order to access your chat logs at their default location. Be 
very
 careful when accessing hidden system files; they are usually hidden so you can't change or delete them by accident! If you need to access your chat logs often, use the instructions below to relocate them to a more accessible folder.

To change or view the chat log file location:
  1. Choose 
    Me 
    >
     Preferences
     on the menu bar.
  2. Choose the 
    Privacy
     tab.
  3. The 
    Location of logs
     field shows the path to the chat log file. Click 
    Browse
     to change the location.

If you don't have them saved, I think you're SOL, sadly. Also, you either need to know the name of the person who sent the message to you, or be willing to go through every chat log to find it. 

You can also go to your preferences, in the...Privacy tab, I think? Maybe Chat. Hunt around. You should see a box with something like C:/ and some information. That will show you where your logs are stored, and you should be able to go to them straight from there.

isnt there simpler way ofjust finding out who i recently IMd with D: ?

also person was sim owner is any way to find out who the sim owner was cuz that might make it easier too

Splatulated wrote:

also person was sim owner is any way to find out who the sim owner was cuz that might make it easier too

No, there isn't an easier way, that's what logs are for.

Yes go back to the sim, about land, and figure out who owns the sim.

Splatulated wrote: [...] isnt there simpler way ofjust finding out who i recently IMd with D: ?

Maybe. Open the folder where the logs are saved, as Ariel showed, and then simply order the files from most recent to less. One of the last will be the one you're interested in, just keep opening them and perusing them until you find the one you wanted.

• Like 1

Tari Landar wrote:

Splatulated wrote:

No, there isn't an easier way, that's what logs are for.

Yes go back to the sim, about land, and figure out who owns the sim.

im still on the sim but all i can find info on who is renting the land and not the actual person who is the sim owner 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.