Computer keeps shutting down.

Jackie1957

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a brand new computer with nothing on it except tha sl viewer and firefox and my computer shuts down when I fly from place to place. Also, when I stay at a location for a while, it just shuts down. It's a new computer!

Thanks, Jackie1957

4 answers to this question

It's very hard to diagnose a problem like that without knowing at least something about your computer.  One of the scariest possibilities that crosses my mind is that your computer is way underpowered for SL and is overheating.  If that happens, the computer will try to save itself by shutting down whatever programs are causing the load, and may shut down completely to avoid a meltdown.  If that's what you're dealing with, it can be a very expensive problem.  On the other hand, it could be something very innocent and easy to solve.  Without any more information, though, all we can do is guess and advise you to be cautious.

If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 4

hi

if your computer is shuting down.

stop playing SL

get it check out, if its new, take it back to the shop.

normaly a computer that so under power, would not allow you to log into the game.

you can buy a computer that need repair from new, they can be damage in tranit, or in store, or there could be just a over active anti-Virus software, take it back to the shop, get it check.

good luck byee

"New" doesn't say anything about how suited your computer is for running demanding programs such as Second Life. And because you said thats the only program on your computer so far, its hard to tell if this is a specific problem or a general one. It could be, that your computer is overheating. But that could have different reasons. The worst would probably be that your computer is not powerfull enough for Second Life or that there is a technical problem with the cooling system.

Editing the post with a bit more hardware information would be good. (And don't listen to Jeffrey. A antivirus program can not shut down a PC on its own and taking it back to the store is pretty useless, before you don't know whats the source of the problem.)

• Like 2

Hello, Jackie

It does sound like your computer might not be adequate to run Second Life - please take a look at the Second Life Minimum Requirements and compare to what you have.

https://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

But lets not ring the dell knell yet - if you edit your post and add your computer's full specifications, we'll be able to offer you more specific advice. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.