Third party viewer question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, you can have as many as you want (ETA: as Dres suggested, at least from the known ones that play fair with each other). Just make sure that each of them uses a different cache folder because, though they won't necessarily fail if sharing the same, it's safer to keep them separated.

The chat logs folder can be the same for all of them, though, as far as I know, and it'd be most convenient to keep your logs in a single location (and therefore equally accesible by all viewers).

I can't give you a definitive answer, simply because there are so many TPVs which I haven't tried.  I do know that Firestorm sets itself up so that it doesn't share any files with the official viewer, therefore, you can install it in conjunction with the official viewer and run them both with no issues. Whichever viewer you choose to use, you can manually set it up so that no two share the same settings, even if they aren't set up that way automatically.

If you were to divulge which viewer you were thinking of using along with the official one, I or someone else would be much more capable of providing you with a definitive answer.

...Dres

You don't have to set up anything differently to use Firestorm... it's done automatically for you.  Also, once you set your viewer up the way you like it using Firestorm, remember to save your settings (Preferences/Backup)... that way if you have to update it, you can retain your settings and you'll be able to apply them to the updated Firestorm viewer.  LL should take note.

...Dres

I actually use Firestorm the most, but for pictures I use Singularity as I prefer how the shadows look on it, and it doesnt seem as laggy on Ultra settings, but I m happy with firestorm, but i also use the SL Viewer, when I had trouble or when there are new updates in SL viewer that the others don't have, so I change around mostly here an there

Evangeline Arcadia wrote:

I'm thinking of trying a third party viewer - if I don't like it is it easy enough to go back to the default SL viewer - can you have both installed at the same time and switch between the two when desired?

As stated, it's simple enough to go back to the default viewer, but just so you know, Firestorm allows you to set up their viewer so it looks like the SL viewer. When you fiirst sign on, there's a drop down box on the bottom which will allow you to change the "style" that you're looking at. (not sure if i said that the right way...maybe some can correct my jibberish gibberish ...:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:)

I assume it acts the same way, although I don't have mine set up that way..mine is set up as the old Phoenix viewer.  

As long as it's a TPV that uses it's own folder, it's easy. I maintain both the official viewer and Firestorm and have no problems. Be aware that there are some TPV's that use the same folders as the official one by default and you'd want to change those locations if you needed to have both.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.