I have an oddball problem here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

According to the knowledgebase all residents are allowed access both general and moderate content regardless of age. (I'm 16) However, I am only able to access general content, both in-world and on the marketplace. What's going on?

BliTzKriTz wrote:

According to the knowledgebase all residents are allowed access both general and moderate content regardless of age. (I'm 16) However, I am only able to access general content, both in-world and on the marketplace. What's going on?

Not sure where you aregetting that in the Knowledgebase.

Under 18 can only access General content.

Second Life is generally for adults 18 years and older; however, if you are 13 years of age or older you can use Second Life with some restrictions. If you're:

• 16-17 years old you can access regions and search results that have a General maturity rating.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Teens_in_Second_Life

Teens (16 & 17) are only allowed in G sims and can only view general content at the marketplace.

Adults (18 +) are allowed to go to G and M rated sims, even if they haven't verified their age (back in my days the age verification was much more complex than it is today). Verified accounts are also allowed in Adult sims and can view adult content.

Sure enough, the scrolls of the elders saith:

I can't access all of the content checkboxes. Why are they unavailable?

By default, each Resident account has access to General and Moderate content. If you 
 to view content with the Adult designation.

So that looks like an error. In theory, one would file a jira to get the knowledgebase article fixed. I'm not sure, however, that LL still has anybody maintaining the official knowledgebase now.

As written, it exposes an historical oddity in SL's maturity rating system. At one time, it was a hassle to be able to access Adult content, but now it's really just a preference you can set once you're 18 -- the same time when you can access Moderate content. Rewriting everything to reflect that change must have been a huge effort, and it's not surprising some stuff got a little glossed-over.

None of which helps, of course. Minors' accounts aren't allowed access to Moderate areas. That's not for the protection of the minors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.