Is a GEForce 9600 GT graphics card compatible to install into a three year old HP Pavillion?

BillyMahone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

It will probably work, the 9600 is pretty old technology and not as long or bulky as some of the newer graphics cards.  But you'd be better off asking this one of HP Support, or enthusiast/PC builder forums like the ones at Tom's Hardware.

I am still using a 9600GT card in this desktop, and it runs beautifully.  ( A little old, but then I am too. :smileytongue: )  If you can spare the cash and have a good enough power supply, I'd suggest trading up to a newer card.  The 9600 will give you good high quality graphics in SL, though, so stick with it if you need to.  Will it fit in your tower?  Probably.  Most standard graphics cards should fit, and the 9600 doesn't have a lot of extra stuff hanging on it.  Just be sure that you have at least a 500 watt power supply (and that IT fits). 

There are a varity of Pavilion desktops. So, we really don't have enough information to say.

You can go on the HP site and find out how to open the case. Then look and see how much room you have. You can get the 9600 dimensions from the nvidia site.

As Rolig hints, the 9600 is nearing end of life. You can get 400 and 500 series nvidia cards on ebay for US$50 to $150.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.