AR'ng verbal abuse on voice

Kendra Listern

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So what is Linden Labs authority on Verbal abuse from some one using a voice? How do you document someone using racist remarks making death threats all on voice? And not being able to get a screen shot of him demeaning women, racial slurs etc. all going on in a PG sim how do we AR it and Linden Labs make a decision?

11 answers to this question

Interesting question. I guess the thing to do would be AR it quickly and be as specific as you can. Make sure to mention voice and as many hot-button keywords as you can that are actually relevevant. Hopefully if it's a case of racism or verbal sexual assault there would be a Linden coming right out and they might actually hear the abuse on voice. Otherwise I don't know how you would document it. I don't know if the lindens ever talk to witnesses.

I don't see how you can.

There is a possibility to record voice of course, you can do this by using something that can record your output channel, I've done this using Audacity.

When you AR it you could send the MP3 along. It would still require a Linden to compare the voice with the abuser, and I wonder if they will.

Still to AR someone I think you need evidence, and that's hard in this case.

Linden Lab Official: Someone in Second Life is abusing me verbally through Voice ->

Is someone harassing you through Voice in Second Life? Yellinginappropriate things or trying to interrupt you constantly or someother such nonsense? The great thing about Voice in Second Life is thatyou can do something you can't in your "first life": You can mute them.

There are two ways to mute Voice chat inworld:

Using the Active Speakers window

1. Click the button with the little white word balloons next to the Talk button at the bottom of the Second Life window. The Active Speakers window opens.
  2. Select the name of the avatar you want to mute and click the Mute button.
64px-KBnote.png Note:If you IM with; Pay L$ to; or Give inventory to someone you've muted,they'll be unmuted, and chat history will inform you what's happened.

Using the Communicate window

1. Click the Communicate button at the bottom of the Second Life window. The Communicate window opens.
  2. Click the Near Me tab at the bottom of the Communicate window.
  3. Click the << button to open the active speakers list.
  4. Select the name of the avatar you want to mute and select the Mute: Voice checkbox at the bottom of the active speakers list.

What about Abuse Reports?

You can still file an Abuse Report on the Resident giving youproblems, but it's harder to provide concrete evidence. There are no IMor chat transcripts you can provide if someone is yelling things at youover Voice. For common-sense reasons, we can't accept recordings ofVoice chat made by other programs or by you holding a tape recorder upto your speakers. File an Abuse Report if you'd like, but if theResident is being nasty over Voice, muting them is the quickestsolution; there's no way for them to unmute themselves. If someone isbeing a jerk to you in other ways that you can document concretely, filing an Abuse Report is certainly the way to go.

Exactly the same as if you heard it on the street.

Luckily you have multiple choices. You can run around whining for a sympathetic parent like an upset toddler, take matters into your own hands and make an effort to resolve the situation yourself, or alternatively distance yourself from it through a number of methods as others have mentioned.

Seriously, there's enough whiny people here wanting the umpires decision on mundane matters every day, do you really want to count yourself among them?

AFAIK, they do not record voice (unless the patriot act or such is making them do it). Which means there would be no way to prove your AR. Even if they did have a copy of the audio recording though you would have to convince someone there to listen to the recording ... good luck with that.

Best advice: never use voice. They have text chat transcripts if you need to file an AR on something said in them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.