sl key shown in emerald viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

No that's not true and sounds like a fairy tale. True is that Emerald shows the UUID of every avatar in their profile, but the generation of that UUID has nothing to do with geographical location. See

I don't know. But I think that hasn't sense. But I'm not technical. In any case, the avatar UUID can be found without problems with SL official viewer in profiles: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Wha

hm 

actually, yes.  i can tell by your key that you are very likely located on planet Earth.

probably on or near the surface of the 1/4 of it that is not covered by water.

that can be farther narrowed down, if i can trick you into telling me whether you see penguins and polar bears when you look out your window, assuming i can trust your word on that.

(pimpin' mah new sig)

To be technically accurate, the answer is both yes and no.   The UUID or key must be totally unique across the entire SL metaverse.  When one creates a new object (an AV is one kind of object), a special server creates a new UUID.   Since SL is HUGE, no one machine could do this.   Also, if that one server were to die, then SL would come to a grinding halt.  So, this task must be split up amongst multiple servers.  The way this is done it to assign a range of values that each individual server may use.   So, the UUID can be tied to the geographical location of the server used to create it.  However, this task can and is assigned to different servers at different times depending upon their availability and other factors.  The Sl resident has no control over this and Linden Labs publishes no logs which would define this.  Therefore, finding out where someone lives by this method is next to impossible.

However, there are other much more likely means of finding out where someone lives.   LL security is so sloppy as to be a very sick joke.  Word to the wise:  Check your credit card balances often for fraudulent charges.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.