Do you know if this mesh will be laggy?

Siksikas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm opening a business soon that will involve many people being on my sim at a time (no its not a club.. lol)

and I was wondering if a mesh building would be very laggy with a lot of people in it?? I know that it depends on the quality of the mesh and how many polyagons (Apologies if I used the wrong term) that the builder used... but i was wondering if you could give me a ball park idea....

OR i was wondering if theres a way to tell how many polyagons they used just by seeing the building in world, therefore seeing how laggy it'll be?

If this is just all incorrect information then I'm very sorry... I'm not experienced with mesh, clearly. Lol.

The company that I'm buying the building from is MeshWorx.

Buildings are usually never the cause of lag. They lack a large polycount, therefore the download for that isn't very much. They don't need too many textures, so that usually isn't very high. Though I have seen a few buildings whereas the 1024s were spammed everywhere.. which can cause quite a bit of lag. You'll want to avoid any place that has a large number of different textures, albeit they're pretty, but if they spam 1024s and bottleneck everyones downloads before it even gets to downloading avatars (And don't get me started on avatars) then not only will their bandwidth bottleneck but typically their graphics cards draw calls with freak out and lag like crazy.

But anyhow, if you're worried about lag, be more worried about avatars...or coffee cups baked to a 1024 texture than large buildings :)

• Like 1

Vanessa Hallison wrote:

OR i was wondering if theres a way to tell how many polyagons they used just by seeing the building in world, therefore seeing how laggy it'll be?

Select the entire building (make sure you have all it's parts selected), and cilck the "More Info" link in the Build floater.

Check the "Display Weight" and compare it with other buildings. (Or just for fun, check the display weight of your avatars hair).

To check the pure polygon count, go to Develop menu > Show Info > Show Render Info. Again select the entire building, zoom very close into the center of the building. Near the bottom of the overlay display you can read the objects tirangle count in "kTris".

I have never come across a mesh building that was laggy simply because it would be too expensive to upload :D.  Look for one that REUSE textures. There used to be a way that you could see what textures were on an object and the size of them. That may have disappeared with V2 viewers, I know not. If in doubt ASK the builder.

Most always though the problem in clubs are the scripts and the high poly count hair and jewelry and other accessories. I think the building should be WAY down on your worry list.

EDIT: I missed the part where you named the maker, recognized the name and went and looked it up on the Marketplace. I visited those builds when I was wanting a warehouse. They are very lovely. The do seem to have a large number of baked textures though (so not reusing much of the same texture).

Your best test if you can't figure out that "how many textures on this build" trick (and again it may not work now) would be to visit the different builds AFTER clearing your cache (so your viewer would need to load each of the textures again. That would give you some idea of the load time. Only in general as we each have different connection speeds, computers and viewer settings. But you could COMPARE a bit that way.

No other great ideas.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.