Please, Merchants, stop the madness.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is for all of the merchants who are selling "limited quantity" items.

When they sell out, PLEASE PULL THE LISTING!!! People have been talking about "demo spam" and "color spam" but aside from the keyword junkies the real issue is the thousands and thousands of "SOLD OUT" limited quantity items. Items which are not pulled or even renamed as sold out when they are.

Please stop this. Aside from the silly elitist mentality it fosters it clutters up searches.

Again, just as with demo's being visible, this should be automatic.  Sold out... poof from the search results.

It's not hard is it?  I have no idea what rationale LL have for showing something that can't be purchased, none whatsoever.  We can dream up pretend reasons why something is still shown but they're bogus.  MP exists to SELL items, not show what cannot be bougtht.

NEVER SHOW DEMOS

NEVER SHOW SOLD OUT

ONLY SHOW PRODUCTS

I sell limited items, and i do keep them listed, tho i change the names once they are sold out. There is a reason to do this, and its so that people can recognize those products are from my store. This is not out of an ego issue, but a practical one. I had my store items sold on fraud stores more than once. At one moment, all the items of my store were sold at a fraud store. The only way I have to people to know hose items were mine, is to keep them listed.b

But, even tho I dont think its a good idea to poof the items, I agree there should be an option for them to appear as history items, so people could see them but they would not appear as for sale.

Agreed that the sold out items should be automatically excluded from Search results. A simple phrase that could be included in the Search Query would be something like:

... AND QTY_AVAIL != 0 ...

(Translation: Include only results where the Available Quantity field is not equal to zero. That accounts for limited quantity items that are not yet sold out as well as unlimited quantity items.)

This is very simple to add and could be easily integrated into the basic "Everything" search query. When searching for specific product names or store/creator names the phrase could be dropped.

Again it is a matter of knowing how to modify the SPREE package and specifically how to modify the search engine they are using within the Marketplace.

<Soapbox>The entire Search feature within the Marketplace needs some serious attention. I am fully convinced that Linden Lab does make income (or at least lessens liability) by the Marketplace's financial activity. It would seem a logical point of attack to dedicate tech-employee time toward improving the feature with an upfront goal of improving sales numbers. I have to believe that there is room for growth in the existing transaction volume of the Marketplace. I might be wrong, but my gut tells me I am right.</Soapbox>

PaperB wrote:

I sell limited items, and i do keep them listed, tho i change the names once they are sold out. There is a reason to do this, and its so that people can recognize those products are from my store. This is not out of an ego issue, but a practical one. I had my store items sold on fraud stores more than once. At one moment, all the items of my store were sold at a fraud store. The only way I have to people to know hose items were mine, is to keep them listed.b

But, even tho I dont think its a good idea to poof the items, I agree there should be an option for them to appear as history items, so people could see them but they would not appear as for sale.

I can understand your reason but it would be better if LL made the requirements to list on MP more stringent in the first place and provide a complete overhaul of the security around product creation, product transfer and sale and also crack down hard on scam listings than litter MP with dead listings.

I don't exepct to see this happen though.

I did not though about the keywords. Ill do that with my sold out. Its not to proof that i uploaded it first, to lindens, but to create some sort of costumer awareness. It has been told that people dont read much, and that they hardly look what store they are buying from. I do this so my costumers and specially new ones, can recognize my store as the original source of the products. I will remove the keywords of sold out if that helps. I already change the name of the sold out products and also remove their demos. And again I agree there is so much i would like to be seen improved in mp. For instance, when a merchant says this product is limited to "x" amount of copies, lindens will tell costumers there is limited copies of this, but wont tell them how many are aviable, or how many has been sold. This gives room to change the ammounts aviable at will, and it dont help costumers at all. I think if you commit to sell a determinate amount of items, you should stick to that amount, and I think it will be a nice tool to let costumers know this.

Ill tell you exactly why L.L. wont force their removal. Because the whole point of limited stock merchandise is to jack up prices along with lots of quick sales in a short period of time, (something that L.L. greatly desires thinking they will make more money themselves in the process, and even in the long run). So as a  reward for merchants who do that, L.L. is effectively giving these merchants greater exposure through more merchandise listings, and thereby creating an incentive for continuing the annoying, yet in reality money losing practice. :matte-motes-confused:

Spica Inventor wrote:

Ill tell you exactly why L.L. wont force their removal. Because the whole point of limited stock merchandise is to jack up prices along with lots of quick sales in a short period of time, (something that L.L. greatly desires thinking they will make more money themselves in the process, and even in the long run). So as a  reward for merchants who do that, L.L. is effectively giving these merchants greater exposure through more merchandise listings, and thereby creating an incentive for continuing the annoying, yet in reality money losing practice. :matte-motes-confused:

I am not talking to LL, they don't usually read the forums, I am talking to my fellow merchants.

Re: Please, Merchants, stop the madness.
[ Edited ]

Reply to Drake1 Nightfire - view message

‎05-11-2014 01:20 PM - edited ‎05-11-2014 01:22 PM

Ill tell you exactly why L.L. wont force their removal. Because the whole point of limited stock merchandise is to jack up prices along with lots of quick sales in a short period of time, (something that L.L. greatly desires thinking they will make more money themselves in the process, and even in the long run). So as a  reward for merchants who do that, L.L. is effectively giving these merchants greater exposure through more merchandise listings, and thereby creating an incentive for continuing the annoying, yet in reality money losing practice. **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/html/assets/emoticons/mattemotes/confused.png" border="0" alt=":matte-motes-confused:" title="" />

Why you think the point of limited items is to jack up prices?

In my opinion, as a limited item seller, this is not the case. Also, I do not do a lot of quick sales, in fact i do LIMITED Sells of each product. A limited item can be sold quick, or not, depends on the item, the time of the year and i dont know what else. But they do not all sell quick.

About jacking up prices, I think over cheap products do this work, rather than quality more expensive ones.

I can speak about mesh items, because is what I do.

The mesh items you can find on the top selling page, are all priced at around 250 lindens, full perm.

If you take a moment to think how many dollars 250 lindens is, You will find its about 1 or so.

A mesh item can take several days of work, i had some i worked on for weeks.  I work full time on them, meaning i do 8 hours work per day.  If an item, takes me say 40 hours of work to be made, how can i sell it for 1 dollar a copy giving them away full perm?

There is no work that pay that ammount. I agree that some people do it just for the love of it, but I do it to pay my son´s education, and I cant do it with 1 dollar.

Its a costumer choise, to see if they want to buy limited or not.  Limited items, usually have more options to them, usually include files for meshes and texturing, and also they are granted to be exactly that, limited. The store that chooses limited over full perm, knows that not everyother store will have the same template, and allows them to work harder on the texturing and marketing, since the competition on this item, will be all about that, and not prices.

Also, I dont see how LL is rewarding limited item sellers at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.