What is going wrong with traffic?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We have renters in a skybox above our rental office. They are Tiny Empire enthusiasts.  This usually keeps our traffic above 5000.  Yesterday it was 11325 ( it sometimes goes above 9000 when they are there for several hours, doing whatever it is they do )  , today it is 1745.  What the hell isthat about? I've never seen it jump that much.   Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I would raise a support ticket and ask The Lab, but I don't think I will live long enough to wait for an answer.

I don't understand the 2 responses above this one. perhaps somebody will explain it to me.

Anyway, if rumours ar to be believed, traffic doesn't play much of a role in the search results, except in 3rd party viewers that can still use the old search. So, whilst it may be interesting to know why the traffic numbers are jumping around so much, there isn't much benefit in them being stable, or high, so it's nothing to be bothered by.

A "Mysterious Trader" will occasionally appear in the HUD. His appearance always causes a lot of excitement and joy throughout all the kingdoms in Tiny Empires. When he appears, the Trader will ask you for a lot of of gold, but won't say what the gold is for. Definitely pay what he asks if you have the gold, as the Trader is a boon to the players. The Trader can give you a boost in either acres or gold, if played properly. The Trader makes random appearances - usually between every 36 to 72 hours. The Trader has been known to appear more frequently if there were problems with the Tiny Empires servers.

Typically, TE players may sign on one or more of their TE-playing alts to take advantage of the Trader's largesse.

The fact our renters are TE enthusiasts is incidental and besides the point. It was merely to illustrate that there is a large group of people there for a lot of the time.  The issue is with the traffic numbers.  I know for a fact that certain rental places use bots and double/triple logged alts to boost their traffic count because it does have an effect on search placing and search is where we get 85% of visitors to our office, the rest is word of mouth.  Anyway, all I wanted to know was if anyone had any idea at all why our traffic is so irratic and poor when it shouldn't be.  So, any ideas, anyone?

As for "mysterious traders" demanding gold for unspecified "goods"..... *shrugs* Don't sound right to me, but I'm not a TE'er.

Ray Caerntown wrote:

The fact our renters are TE enthusiasts is incidental and besides the point. It was merely to illustrate that there is a large group of people there for a lot of the time.  The issue is with the traffic numbers.  I know for a fact that certain rental places use bots and double/triple logged alts to boost their traffic count because it does have an effect on search placing and search is where we get 85% of visitors to our office, the rest is word of mouth.  Anyway, all I wanted to know was if anyone had any idea at all why our traffic is so irratic and poor when it shouldn't be.  So, any ideas, anyone?

As for "mysterious traders" demanding gold for unspecified "goods"..... *shrugs* Don't sound right to me, but I'm not a TE'er.

I don't understand why you think you have a problem or why are you complaining?  And btw you can't be "so erratic and poor" no more than you can be "so erratic and well."

Ray Caerntown wrote:

The fact our renters are TE enthusiasts is incidental and besides the point.

Perhaps not.

Consider this scenario:

Your TE-enthusiast tenants stay logged in for hours at a time. This helps to keep your traffic above 5000, as you say.

Then your TE-enthusiast tenants are notified via their TE HUDs that the "Mysterious Trader" is on the way. They log on a couple of their TE alts to take advantage.

Perhaps they have a few TE-enthusiast friends over when the notice comes. So they log in a few of their TE alts.

All of these avatars on your parcel are of course going to drive the traffic number up.

As for why the number is so low the next day? Maybe your tenants decided to give their TE alts a day off?

In any case, it's not a big mystery and is certainly not ticket-worthy.

Ray Caerntown wrote:

The fact our renters are TE enthusiasts is incidental and besides the point.

Actually its exactly the point. The people upthread were trying to explain that in the TE game, sudden events can be set to occur at any location that has some TE involvement (I didn't understand the details exactly).

- Those sudden events are triggered by the TE game declaring that a 'Trader' has spawned somewhere - and everyone only has so much time to get there and get the prizes. So... sudden traffic spike.

TE players can be spotted easily all over the grid. When you see a lot of what seem to be bots, but you can't figure out why someone would want bots there... those are usually TE accounts. They're often 'put off to the side' somewhere, like a residential skybox, the bottom of a lake, a linden home, etc... places where having all those accounts might create a very high traffic score - but for a place that has no use for it (like a linden home). So they look like "bots" until you realize its harmless.

(I've complained and then been schooled on this before... I do think TE avatars that are laggy could be an issue, but the ones I've actually seen looked like noobs or were dressed 'for lols' in silly mismatched outfits. Ergo: my actual experience with them has more been "what the heck are all these AFK people doing under the water on this linden sim?")

The TE game is a bit like breedables: it looks like something that's up to no good and messing up sim resources, until you get to know it and realize its just a harmless thing those "weird people next door" are into.

- Now if you find me a pack of TE avatars on a parcel that is listed in search (*), we'd have an issue to talk about. But they tend to avoid those. Its been my experience that TE people have a habit of trying to hide their avatars - even though they're one of the kinds of "bots" that doesn't need to (bots are lots not in search, are a non-issue).

(*) and re-reading the original post, is this actually the case, they're all above your office which is or is not in search? If they're above an office that is in search, I'd strongly suggest moving them or your office into a different subdivided parcel before somebody ARs one or both of you over 'traffic gaming'. We might know that's not your intent - but a passing spotter might not know that, and a linden could just randomly decide anything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.