Firestorm crashes when right-clicking avatar to edit attachments

Ramona Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For 2 weeks now my Firestorm screen freezes every time I right-click mesh to edit something my avatar is wearing and I have to "force quit" and re-log which takes 2-4 attempts to log back in - as far as I can tell this only occurs in certain places i.e. my skybox and my friend's skybox which is in a different region to my skybox although there could be more places.  He also has this problem in those 2 places.

If I use the inventory folder to obtain the edit option and I'm extremely careful not to click my avatar in any way I do not crash. If i right-click on a furniture item not attached to my avi I don't crash.  If I go to a sandbox I don't crash.  I am not using the Firestorm beta.  I am using Firestorm 4.4.2 (34167).

My computer is a 64-bit Windows machine running Windows 7 Home Premium and is not very old.  I have an ASRock Z787M Extreme4 MOBO and a XFX 7870 2GB graphic card which i have checked for updates and there is none available.  My computer is only a few months old.  I do not over-clock.

I have ADSL2+ cable internet which is stable.

Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem?

Edit:  Added correct graphic card details

Ramona Beck wrote:

For 2 weeks now my Firestorm screen freezes every time I right-click mesh to edit something my avatar is wearing and I have to "force quit" and re-log which takes 2-4 attempts to log back in - as far as I can tell this only occurs in certain places i.e. my skybox and my friend's skybox which is in a different region to my skybox although there could be more places.  He also has this problem in those 2 places.

If I use the inventory folder to obtain the edit option and I'm extremely careful not to click my avatar in any way I do not crash. If i right-click on a furniture item not attached to my avi I don't crash.  If I go to a sandbox I don't crash.  I am not using the Firestorm beta.  I am using Firestorm 4.4.2 (34167).

My computer is a 64-bit Windows machine running Windows 7 Home Premium and is not very old.  I have an ASRock Z787M Extreme4 graphics card which i have checked for updates and there is none available.  My computer is only a few months old.  I do not over-clock.

I have ADSL2+ cable internet which is stable.

Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem?

You did not state which hardware you're using, your so called 'Graphics Card' is a obviously misspelled  mainboard  name, so helping you is not possible at this moment.

J.

It sounds like you are suffering from this crash

FIRE-10910 - [bUG-3095] [MAINT-2876] [CRASH] Right click rigged mesh -> freeze/crash - Octree insertion failed, starting over from root!

This crash affects all viewers and only happens with certain rigged high poly meshes.  It also usually only happens when you are up at 2000+m strangely. If you click anywhere inside that meshes octree, the viewer will freeze in an infinate loop & you'll have to force quit.

I'm afraid theres no known workaround apart from to find which piece of rigged mesh you are wearing is the culpret and take it off.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

You could go to
page and try the latest viewer.

ETA.. yeah, the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a mother board.. log on and hit Help>about firestorm and copy paste that page here. then we can help

Did that and still crashed.

ETA.. yeah, the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a mother board.. log on and hit Help>about firestorm and copy paste that page here. then we can help

CPU: Intel® Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3399.02 MHz)

Memory: 8123 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1140

OpenGL Version: 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context

RestrainedLove API: RLV v2.7.0 / RLVa v1.4.8a

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.1

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Vivox 2.1.3010.6270

Settings mode: Firestorm

Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)

Font Used: Deja Vu (96)

Draw distance: 304

Bandwidth: 500

LOD factor: 4

Render quality: Ultra (7/7)

Built with MSVC version 1600

Packets Lost: 0/3,044 (0.0%)

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

It sounds like you are suffering from this crash

- [bUG-3095] [MAINT-2876] [CRASH] Right click rigged mesh -> freeze/crash - Octree insertion failed, starting over from root!

This crash affects all viewers and only happens with certain rigged high poly meshes.  It also usually only happens when you are up at 2000+m strangely. If you click anywhere inside that meshes octree, the viewer will freeze in an infinate loop & you'll have to force quit.

I'm afraid theres no known workaround apart from to find which piece of rigged mesh you are wearing is the culpret and take it off.

This is the problem ... it's a collar - a really beautiful one from Red Mint - that i was given 2 weeks ago that is causing the issue.

Thanks everyone for your contributions and suggestions.

Ramona,

If you can file a JIRA issue on the Firestorm JIRA, reproduce this crash and attach your crash logs to the JIRA issue, we can quickly see if you are having the crash I think you are having.

This Page tells you how to file a Firestorm JIRA and where to find your crash logs.

After you have reproduced this edit crash, grab the whole logs folder and zip it up, before you relaunch the viewer.

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I too have this problem just the last 2 days, right clicking on my avi and force closed the viewer. 

Searched here for an answer and found this thread, so thought I would give removing my mesh a try.

I believe it was the mesh outfit I had on as I removed the outfit and changed clothing and No problem.

But my question is this, HOW do we know when purchasing mesh  ( outfits) in my case, which ones are made differently than others that will cause this Bug to happen? As far as I know, items are only listed as mesh but nothing more. And the way it sounds here, there are different levels of mesh that cause this bug to happen. If this bug isn't fixable, I doubt I will be purchasing anything in mesh if I can't be certain Firestorm isn't going to crash when it's right clicked.. BTW, the outfit that I was wearing that caused this issue is from a  very reliable HUGE seller.

Thanks for any input,

Sensual

Can you go to Help -> About Firestorm, click the "Copy to clipboard" button and paste all your system information into a comment here.

Problem could be 2 known crashes - the Octree crash if you are on an older Firestorm release (now fixed in 4.6.7) or the old AMD driver crash if you have an older AMD card - fixed for new AMD cards with latest drivers but will still happen on older cards on either Firestorm or the Linden viewer.

If you disable selection outlines does this stop the crash?

Does the official LL viewer crash?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.