Deploys for the week of 2014-02-24

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Note that the main channel roll on Tuesday is earlier than the usual time.

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel will be updated to get the server maintenance project that was on the RC channels for the past two.   This project includes some crash fixes, and other miscellaneous bug fixes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/14#14.02.07.286464

Scheduled Tuesday 2014-02-25 03:00-09:00 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel and RC LeTigre:

BlueSteel and LeTigre are on a new server maintenance project.  This project contains an infrastructure update, with no functional changes.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/14#14.02.24.287086

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/14#14.02.24.287086

Scheduled Wednesday 2014-02-26 07:00-10:30 PST

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is also on a new project.  This project enables support for a new version of the inventory service, AISv3.  To make use of this new feature, login with the Sunshine Project Viewer.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/14#14.02.21.286985

Scheduled Wednesday 2014-02-26 07:00-10:30 PST

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Pre-restart, everything was fine. Post-restart, mesh loading is hosed. Tons of yellow triangles over mesh objects. Can this be resolved please? I hate to go an entire week with large portions of my builds not rezzing. And No, it's not just me. Everyone seems to be having this issue. Group chat lag is up to 5 minutes at times which is MUCH worse that normal. Mesh loading on avatar attachments also seem to be an issue from what I'm hearing. Is this all asset server related? Are they no longer able to handle the load? It seems we are having issues almost constantly lately.

Sharie

I suspect the restart is causing the bandwidth of sent data to the viewer to rise dramatically, I saw it on the RCs last week and on rolled sims on Main Server this week. I guess if your bandwidth is restricted you'll see all manner of bottlenecks and throttling effects depending on the nature of the data your viewer is asking for.

It would seem that LL do not see this as a problem, though if it gets any worse, anyone on either a restricted bandwidth or a rationed data package is going to be in trouble.  We have seen that before.

As an aside, despite the roll being slated to start 2 hours early, at 3hr SLT, the aknowledgement on the GSP did not appear until 7:52hr and my sim, which usually restarts between 6 and 7hr SLT only just rolled at 9:30hr SLT.  So much for those Restart team professionals, what happened, their alarms not go off today?

ETA:

After the restart all actually seems OK to me, though I have a good fibre BB connection and a router that doesn't seem to hate http! One oddity, I see we have been restarted on the same server, 9222, which I thought was impossible!  The software version is updated correctly though.

• Lindens

Sharie Criss wrote:

Pre-restart, everything was fine. Post-restart, mesh loading is hosed. Tons of yellow triangles over mesh objects. Can this be resolved please? I hate to go an entire week with large portions of my builds not rezzing. And No, it's not just me. Everyone seems to be having this issue. Group chat lag is up to 5 minutes at times which is MUCH worse that normal. Mesh loading on avatar attachments also seem to be an issue from what I'm hearing. Is this all asset server related? Are they no longer able to handle the load? It seems we are having issues almost constantly lately.

Hi Sharie, "tons of yellow triangles" sounds like a rendering issue - which viewer are you using?  Also, is the issue particular to a certain region?

I don't see any mesh loading or rendering issues with 'Second Life 3.7.2 (286707) Feb 14 2014 17:33:07 (Second Life Release)' when I login to "Mayfair" (a mesh-heavy build, running on Second Life RC LeTigre 14.02.07.286464) or "Magnum Sandbox 2" (has a few mesh objects rezzed, running on Second Life RC Magnum 14.02.07.286464).  My avatar has several mesh attachments as well (some rigged, some not), too.  Following today's roll, the main channel is currently on the same version as the RC channels, so you should see the same behavior there as well.

Sigh. Yes, it appears to have been some bizarre viewer cache thing. I cleared cache and that resolved the mesh loading (yellow triangle) issue. It's odd that things were perfect prior to the restart, and broken after. And not just for me! The same cache clear has fixed the exact same issue for others who were seeing the same yellow triangles. We all use firestorm, not sure if that is related or not. To be honest, this just doesn't make sense to me. Now that the restarts seem to be over (I think?) attachment rezzing seems to be better as well. It's unfortunate that rolling restarts seem to strain the infrastructure to the point of causing all sorts of unusual problems.

Sharie

I doubt if the mere use of Firestorm is your issue.  I use Firestorm 4.4.2 so I'd expect to see the issue also, and I haven't so far (touches a large peice of non-mesh wood).

It sounds like a stalled asset queue for mesh on your viewer if a cache clearance worked since it could be interpreted as a texture corruption (the only sensible reason I know for cache clearance).

As to the increasing strain on the LL infrastructure - I think you are bang on the money there, this has been building up for months as LL attempt to lighten the load on the client.  I suspect someone either underestimated the load increase or overestmated the servers' capacity to cope.  Some new ones perhaps can, but we all know that a lot of LL's hardware is a long way from new.

It's hard for me to judge any difference this week, since I had some work done on my ADSL line a few days ago. And it has doubled my connection speed.

1: The "We've begin the restart" message is always horribly late. It makes me doubt the timing of any notices announcing a Linden activity. The permission to post a warning message seems to be held by some office-wallah , rather than the engineer who makes the decision when to fix the problem.

2: Because of the changes in how data is delivered, I don't trust the stats window on the amount of data being downloaded. I have heard claims that it doesn't include HTTP traffic. I was worried. The increase in effective speed does seem to give better performance, but since I haven't increase the bandwidth limit, I am wondering if that does anything useful.

After today's restart on LeTigre (sim of Borgbeef), HTTP-IN performance has dropped dramatically. Two prims talking to each other via HTTP-IN now takes 16-32 seconds to send a message from one to the other. Note that the HTTPRequest() timeout is 30 seconds so this often results in false failure results.

Previous to the rollout, such a message would be transferred in 1 second or less nominally. This really breaks HTTP-IN.

• Lindens

Hi Darien, that's interesting.  I also see slow HTTP requests on Borgbeef, but not on other LeTigre 14.02.21.286985 regions.  Right now, when I have a script with calls llHTTPRequest() from Borgbeef to talk to a simple HTTP-in script, the round trip time is 2-15 seconds, which varies gradually over time.  In other regions (I used "LeTigre Sandbox 1" for comparison), I see ~66ms for the same setup.  I see similar latency on Borgbeef when querying from my local machine, so this does seem like an HTTP-in issue (as opposed to HTTP-out).

Update: I ran the latency test several more times in Borgbeef, and presently, it's consistently in the 44ms range every time, which is as fast as what I see on any region. Perhaps a temporary load spike was responsible for the delays?

• Lindens

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Hi, Maestro.   What are the "new features related to LSL scripting and object creation" on the main channel?   It's not at all clear from the url you provide.

Thanks for asking - there was an error in my post, which I've just fixed.  That 'new features' statement was leftover from a previous release's post.  There are no new features for this week's main channel release.  Aside from the crash fixes, there were just 2 bugfixes:

• Fix for BUG-5034 “If an EM restarts a region and then teleports out immediately, the EM will disconnect just after teleport” (BUG-5034)
  • Fixed a rare case in which emails read by LSL scripts immediately after rez or region change would sometimes be missing the message body

When standing in mainland region "Drawbridge" (Magnum), the region diagonally to the southeast, "Wingo" (LeTigre) is invisible until you enter one of the adjacent sims that share a border with WIngo ("Ionian" or "Gallinas"). The region will then load (usually from cache in my case.) If you return to "Drawbridge" and then continue looking south, Wingo will then suddenly disappear after a few minutes despite being in draw distance continuously.

Diagonally adjacent regions in any other direction are visible as normal. This occurs with multiple avatars using both LL 3.7.3 (287263) and Catznip. My draw distance is typically set at 256. Under some circumstances the region directly south of Wingo will remain/become visible even when Wingo is invisible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.