profile pic aspect help

xXLuthorianXx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I need some help figuring out the right aspect for a '1st life' profile pic so it does not appear squashed. I am using the firestorm viewer....the image I have is 1280 (H) x 960 (W). I have read it should be 1:1 ratio.....but then other sites say for firestorm it uses 4:3 ratio for both 1st and 2nd life tabs.....so I am at a loss, if anyone would be so kind as to do the math that knows this, would be greatly appriciated. Tearing my hair out trying to figue this out....thank you

xXLuthorianXx wrote:

Hey guys, I need some help figuring out the right aspect for a '1st life' profile pic so it does not appear squashed. I am using the firestorm viewer....the image I have is 1280 (H) x 960 (W). I have read it should be 1:1 ratio.....but then other sites say for firestorm it uses 4:3 ratio for both 1st and 2nd life tabs.....so I am at a loss, if anyone would be so kind as to do the math that knows this, would be greatly appriciated. Tearing my hair out trying to figue this out....thank you

"Web" profiles (also used in LL Viewer 3, etc.) use 1:1; "Legacy" (tabbed) profiles use 4:3.

Here is what happens:

Profile-Pictures_Various-Aspect-Ratios.jpg

If the original picture has 4:3 aspect ratio then it looks correct in legacy profiles, but very squashed in web profiles.
If the original picture has 1:1 aspect ratio then it looks correct in web profiles, but very stretched in legacy profiles.

The way to do it so that it would look more acceptable in both profiles is to use aspect ratio that is half way in between 4:3 and 1:1 aspect ratios. Aspect ratio 8:7 is exactly half way in between those two.

The Wiki says:
"1.x series viewers: Profile > 2nd Life tab - ~4:3 (178×133 pixels)"

So you could use for example a picture size of 178 x 156 pixels - which is 8:7 aspect ratio - to get the results what I have shown here in the third row of pictures.

PS.
It's a pity that Linden Lab "ruined" things by starting to use 1:1 aspect ratio in the profile picture. About half of the viewers use web profiles and about half use legacy profiles. A total mess they made. :smileyfrustrated:

I guess that Linden Lab will not be not interested to change it to 4:3 aspect ratio. So, the only solution would be that TPVs would make the legacy profile picture to 1:1 aspect ratio - if that is at all possible. Then everybody would again see profile pictures correctly.

Personally I would prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 1:1 aspect ratio in profile picture.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

LOL
, so much for shared experience.

Yes, totally distorted "shared" stuff!  :smileyfrustrated:

Somebody should call Ebbe!   Hullo call_me.gif ... Blah, blah, blah... :matte-motes-frown:  :matte-motes-sour: :matte-motes-evil-invert: :matte-motes-evil: ....

:smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.