Linden Investigations

Jay Dash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unsure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but

There is a person I have met who said that they were an official investigator for LL, and this was their Alt account.

Apparently a sim I am involved with is under investigation for violation of LL's policies, and that I, and all in this group could get banned because of, what I believe, to be unfounded claims.  (I am quite happy for LL to come and investigate, as I have nothing to hide)

So, I guess my questions are, is this how things work, would you get any notification that you are under investigation (if not, is there any way I can find out), or is this person a flat out liar?

To my mind, this person is a flat out liar.    See Linden Lab Official:  Who are Lindens?

Any Resident who tries to intimidate you by claiming to be a Linden is violating Second Life's Terms of Service, and you should file an abuse report immediately.

An unscrupulous person may try to intimidate you by claiming that they are friends with a particular Linden, or that they are a Linden themselves. They may imply that they can ban your account or take your land from you if you don't submit to their demands.

My advice is to AR him and forget about it.   If LL is investigating a sim for whatever reasons, you'll hear about it from a Linden, if and when LL want you to know about it, and not before.

Are you sure about that?   I know that God mode renders Lindens invisible to radars (llSensor) and (I think) to the radar in the viewer,  because I once asked one why my Mysti-tool radar couldn't see him when he was standing in front of me.    But it's news to me that they can render themselves invisible, including their name tags.

Be that as it may, Lindens certainly claim to use alts; we've had feedback from them at the Adult Hubs (I'm involved in the administration of the Hubs) based on what they say they've observed when using alts there.

Yes I'm sure of it.  I've had personal experience with it on a few occasions when I owned a very popular well known club.  Once during a severe griefer attack a small group of them just appeared out of thin air to step in and stop it.  It was obvious they didn't tp in.  Afterwards I asked about how they responded so quickly as no one had time to contact support of do an AR before they appeared, and was told they'd been there all along observing.

Lindens probably do have alts, I am not denying that.  Certainly many of them have accounts they use when they wish to enter SL using a private account for their own private reasons that are not work related.  But I ask, if one was using an alt for a confidential investigation, why would they out themselves by telling anyone they are a Linden? It would defeat the whole purpose of using an alt. 

People claiming to be Lindens in order to get their way is not uncommon at all.  It happens all the time.  I've had people tell me the same thing on several occasions when I refused to comply with something they wanted, and not one of their predictions of 'dire' consequences if I didn't comply with their wishes ever came about.  Lindens inter-acting in their official capacity as Lindens with residents always wear Linden avatars.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.