How Can I Stop Sinking into the Ground When I Use a Groundsit Animation?

LaskyaClaren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all!

Undoubtedly I should know the answer to this, but I don't. 

When I am using my AO and commercial groundsit animations, my avatar sinks about 8 inches or so into the ground. This is not a problem when I am not wearing the AO: a normal cross-legged groundsit works fine.

Groundsit_001.jpg

Now, I know that I can adjust the "hover" height on my shape, which is currently at 50. When I adjust it up to about 55 or 56, the groundsit height is pretty much perfect. Unfortunately, however, when I stand, this means that I'm now hovering about 8 inches off the ground.

I'd initially assumed that this has something to do with my avatar height, which comes in at 1.88m on the Firestorm measurer (it's closer to 1.85 when I measure it against a prim). This is a bit on the short side, but I'm hardly a child avatar. And when I do use groundsits for "child" or "teen" avatars, I'm hovering above the ground about 6 inches.

(My regular sitting animations are also a tiny bit low, but only by a couple of inches, which I can live with.)

These are commercial no-mod animations, so I can't adjust them.

Is there a setting in the Firestorm menu, or advanced menu, that I can use that will only change the hover distance for groundsit animations? Or am I doomed forever to be half-interred when I sit on the ground?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Unfortunately, there's no way to change the Hover setting for just some animations.  When you change it, the change applies to everything.  This drives me nuts too.  I have some wonderful sit animations that I would love to use in my AO, but I end up perched a meter above the chair.  There's really nothing to be done.  Commercial anims are all made to go into objects that have sit targets adjusted for them.  When you put them into an AO, they all assume the AO's defined position for a seated avatar, which isn't necessarily the same one that the anim creator had in mind.

The only solution that works is kind of hokey.  You have to put your sit anim into a transparent prim that contains a simple sit script that will animate that specific anim.  Then, when you want to use it, you rez the prim, sit on it, and use your edit tool to move yourself into position.  As I said, it's hokey, and it only works in places where you are allowed to rez things. Still, it's something.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Rolig. I was afraid that something like this might be the case.

Another workaround I've found that seems to work at a pinch -- at least, on my screen -- is to turn the standard "Edit Appearance" pose off, and then edit my shape, changing the hover value, while sitting on the ground. I don't save the new hover value, I just change it, and then minimize the edit shape window. Then, when I stand up again, I cancel the edit, and close the edit appearance window without saving.

Annoying, but it seems to work. Fortunately, I don't groundsit all that often. These mesh pants cost far too much to get them filthy and wet. :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.