About prices and a bump map question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I am new in creating in sl.

I am wondering if sometimes I can change the prices of my products in the MP listing without changing it on the mesh itself by editing it in world. For example, I made a flower and made it 15L in world while editing it but in the market place, I want to put 10L for a week then change it back to 15L. I just want to see what sells.  Can I do that or do I have to change the price inworld on the mesh as well? I do not have a shop inworld and I do not see why I must have one lol they are selling in the marketplace anyway. So the products are all in marketplace from my inventory. 

After having more than 10 products, it is getting hard to go and change each one and then remember which ones I changed. I hope I can put whatever price I want in the market place without changing the price of the product on the product itself inworld. 

My second question is something different.

I was wondering if I can add more bumpmaps options inside sl edit area where we load textures and we can add shine and bump and all. Is there a way to add my own bumps there somehow? I want to put leaf texture bumpmaps. Or if there is anway to add my own bumbmaps anywhere at all? So far I only see I can upload textures and use them in the texture slot and choose options sl provides like shine, glow... I just need leaf and petal bumpmaps I have. 

Thank you!!!!!!!

The items on the marketplace are independent from what you have in-world or in your inventory. Just set the prices on the MP and you're good.

Yes, you can upload and apply "tangent space normal maps" (not bump maps), and specular maps as well. If you are using a materials enabled viewer, which is any recent official Linden Lab viewer, you can apply the maps under the texture tab, just  click on the Texture (Diffuse) dropdown menu and select Normal (Bumpiness), and drag your normal map onto the texture field.

To render these maps, Advanced Light Model has to be enabled, in the viewer.

• Like 1

Amethyst provided the link, it comes under anti competitive behavior, inflated listing price compared to inworld or other ecommerce site.

All too often, items are incorrectly flagged and delisted by LL because someone just considers something "too expensive".

That is not what "inflated listing price" means!

It's a hotly debated and contentious issue. Do people "raise" a price for an inworld shop in order to cover land cost? If using the same ideal, if not why not?

To others both are just a cost of doing business and it can be argued that the 5% offsets the costs otherwise incurred through having land.

Probably better debated in the merchants forum than here though :)

LovedWarrior Quan wrote:

Ok i got the new versions of both sl viewer and firestorm but i stil dont see sepcular and normal map areas

ab116.jpg

Click the "Texture (diffuse)" button. It will reveal the Normal and Specular maps. After clicking, select "Bumpiness (normal)" then click in the "Texture" icon and browse for your normal map. Same way for the specular map.

Normal maps (tangent-based) look predominantly blue because the colour of each pixel defines the vector of the normal at that point relative to the tangent. The blue channel is the component perpendicular to the unmodified surface (the default normal), while the read and green define the components in the UV plane. The default normal has RGB values 127,127,255. So it's a light blue. Tinting more or less red or green tilts the normal away from the perpendicular.

Here's a picture of a simple normal map (left) and the effect it has on the shading of a flat surface under oblique lighting.

nmapeg.png

(both from normalmap in gimp)

Thank you!

However, I tried jpg, png, and tga I see obsulately no difference on my texture. It isnt working for me. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I try the sl's in built bumpmaps they all show on my texture but none of the ones i put makes any difference.

Is there a way I can see the sl's in-built bumpmaps inside my computer? Where can they be? I wonder if I can add mine in that folder and there and try again. 

• 3 months later...

Thanks everyone for the advice on user content bump maps. This is a breakthrough for me also.

I know from experience and then from further research that .png files means you can use transparency as part of your texture, where all other formats replace it with white.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.